AFC Fylde 4-1 Southport

Williams 7’, Bradley 21’, Haughton 43’, 55’ – Sampson 39’


AFC Fylde stormed through to the Third Round of the FA Trophy, with a resounding win against National League North side Southport.

Jim Bentley made a couple of changes for the Coasters, as Mark Yeates and Lewis Montrose came in for Danny Rowe and Danny Philliskirk.

Whilst the visitors started with plenty of promise, a clinical counter attack from Jordan Williams saw AFC Fylde open the scoring six minutes in.

Williams drove forward from the halfway line, and whilst he had options to his right, only had the goal in mind – eventually curling a superb effort into the corner of the net.

Southport looked to retaliate immediately, and Devarn Green went close, but Sam Hornby was on form to deny him.

The lead was soon doubled though, this time Williams turning provider, putting it on a plate for Dan Bradley to fire home five yards from goal.

Albinson got a hand to it, but it was hit with such power, that he couldn’t keep it from ending up in the net.

Whilst Fylde could have added a third, it was Southport who next found the net, Jack Sampson steering a header past Sam Hornby to halve the deficit.

This came moments after Hornby had produced a stunning save to deny David Morgan from distance, tipping behind for the corner.

The lead was soon reinstated though, as Nick Haughton worked himself into space, before firing an effort into the corner of the net, giving Albinson no chance.

It was Haughton’s first telling involvement of the game, and from here, grew with confidence.

HALF-TIME: AFC Fylde 3 – 1 Southport

After the restart, the heavens opened, making the conditions tough – as the Port looked for a way back into the game.

Before long though, it was effectively over as a contest, as Nick Haughton danced beyond two defenders, composed himself, and curled a fantastic effort beyond Albinson, and in off the post.

Jordan Williams almost had his second after Nick Haughton’s effort was parried, but Albinson made a superb stop from close range.

The Coasters looked more composed after this, and had further chances to inflict damage, with Willoughby going close after being introduced from the bench.

Southport tried to give their travelling support something to cheer about, and kept digging in, with skipper David Morgan the most active.

His free-kick deep into injury time was the final opportunity, but blazed it over the bar, and with it, Southport’s run in the FA Trophy came to an end.

The Coasters, however, continue the defence of their trophy, and will have all attentions turned to the draw on Monday afternoon.


AFC Fylde: Hornby, Jameson, Byrne, Whitmore, Burke, Montrose (C) (Craigen 65′), Croasdale, Bradley (Willoughby 50′), Haughton, Yeates (Kellett 74′), Williams.

Subs unused: Lavercombe, Rowe, Philliskirk, Taylor.

Southport: Albinson, Mohamed, Ogle, Winnard, Astles, Morgan (C), Benjamin, Wood, Green, Sampson, Bauress.

Subs: Hanford, Woods, Newell, Correia, Oliver, Parry.