AFC Fylde vs Wrexham FC

FA Cup
Sat 14th October 2017
Score: 1 - 0

Match Report

Danny Rowe’s first-half strike booked AFC Fylde a place in Monday’s FA Cup first round draw at the expense of fellow National League side Wrexham.

Fylde top scorer Rowe slotted home the only goal of the game shortly before the break to earn the Coasters a thoroughly-deserved victory.

Manager Dave Challinor made three changes from the trip to Sutton United last weekend with the injured Jordan Tunnicliffe and the suspended Lewis Montrose replaced by Mill Farm debutants Jason Taylor and George Edmundson, whilst Jordan Richards came in for Tom McCready. 

The Coasters were first to threaten early on when Luke Burke’s teasing cross was turned behind and Simon Grand’s header from the resultant corner looped onto the top of the net. 

Momentum was with the hosts and Jack Muldoon was unlucky to see his header fly over after he was exquisitely picked out by fellow forward Rowe. 

Zaine Francis-Angol almost found his way clean through at the midway point of the half when he skipped past James Hurst, however the Wrexham full-back was adjudged to have handled the ball and was shown a yellow cards for his troubles.

Wrexham tested the Coasters backline moments later when Scott Boden laid the ball off to Marcus Kelly on the edge of the area but Grand was in the right place to inadvertently deflect the ball over the top.

A relatively uneventful opening period was brought to life on 37 minutes when the home side broke the deadlock. Muldoon turned his man 20 yards from goal before cutely slipping in Rowe who made no mistake with a calm first-time finish into the bottom corner.

Sam Finley was presented with a glorious chance to double the lead soon after when he was picked out by Andy Bond inside the penalty area but Dragons stopper Chris Dunn was equal to his vicious strike.

Fylde kicked off the second half in the same vein and were a whisker away from adding to their tally when Rowe’s free-kick from 25 yards whistled inches wide of the post.

A bright start to the half saw opportunities for both sides as Wrexham’s James Jennings’ deep cross narrowly eluded Boden at the back post before Grand headed just over from Jordan Richards’ corner at the other end.

Another whipped ball from Jennings almost brought about the equaliser however Boden fired just wide at the far post. 

Boden was proving a handful and Lynch had to be alert to tip the frontman’s glancing header around the post.  

The dangerous Boden was replaced by Ntumba Massanka seconds later and the substitute was next to test Lynch with a low curled strike toward the corner that was pounced upon by the Fylde stopper.

Rowe dragged an effort wide as the home pressure started to build and perhaps should have done better when looking for Muldoon after beating his marker down the right. 

It was one-way traffic as the full-time whistle approached and substitute Jamie Stott almost made the dream start to his Coasters career when he diverted Finley’s long range attempt narrowly wide of the mark.

The first round draw is live on BT Sport and the BBC on Monday evening at around 7pm.

AFC Fylde: Lynch, Burke, Grand, Edmundson, Francis-Angol, Richards (Stott 69), Bond, Finley, J Taylor (Smith 76), Muldoon (Tasdemir 80), Rowe. 

Subs not used: Hardy, R Taylor, McCready, Blinkhorn.

Wrexham: Dunn, Hurst (Rutherford 46), Jennings, Smith, MacKreth, Wedgbury, Holroyd, Carrington, Marx, Kelly, Boden (Massanka 64).

Subs not used: Dibble, Roberts, Smith, Tharme.

Ref: Joe Hull

Att: 1,390