National League North Play-Offs
Sat 2nd May 2015
Score: 1 - 2

Match Report

AFC Fylde are out of the Play-offs at the Semi Final stage after Gusieley recorded their third win over The Coasters this season.

1-0 down after the first leg, Richie Allen gave The Coasters the dream start heading past Steve

Drench after just 20 seconds to level the tie on aggregate.

But when Danny Boshell equalised ten minutes before the break it was left to captain Andy Holdsworth to give the visitors the lead and an unassailable aggregate lead which Fylde couldn’t overturn.

The Coasters needed to start exactly how they finished at Guiseley and they certainly did when Allen was the only one to follow the bouncing ball into the area and headed it past Drench for the dream start after just 20 seconds.

Fylde still needed a second goal to take the lead on aggregate and when a corner from Richie Baker wasn’t dealt with by the away defence that allowed Josh Wilson to send it back across goal only for it to be missed by every Fylde player.

Another decent ball into the box, this time from Allen, almost found Danny Rowe and Danny Lloyd at the back post but goalkeeper Drench came out to collect it.

Guiseley’s first chance fell for Wayne Brooksby on 15 minutes but he could only scuff a shot well wide from the edge of the area.

Three minutes later Adam Sumner was unlucky not to find the back of the net on his 201st appearance for Fylde, cutting inside from the left he shot low and forced a good save from Drench after some decent build-up play by the home side.

Guiseley attacked straight away and Oli Johnson shot wide after worming his way through three Fylde players to find space on the edge of the box.

Another spell for Fylde saw two chances within a minute fall for Lloyd – the first was shot straight at Drench after racing past his marker before his second was sent narrowly wide.

Fylde skipper Brad Barnes was penalised for a handball 30 yards out which allowed his opposite number, Holdsworth to fire the free kick inches over the crossbar on 27 minutes.

But after a 33rd minute strike from Rowe was sent high over Guiseley’s goal, the visitors punished Fylde through Danny Boshell’s well-timed header connecting with Danny Lowe’s cross just six yards out two minutes later to make it 1-1 and restore Guiseley’s aggregate lead.

Two half chances fell for Fylde late in the half but they were unable to retake their lead before the break.

It took until the 57 minute for the next chance on goal and it was one that counted as Holdsworth connected to Oli Johnson’s pass to fire the ball home and give the visitors the lead in the match which also doubled their aggregate advantage.

Tom Hannigan was then unlucky to see his downward header blocked by teammate Matt Blinkhorn just yards from goal moments later and successive corners for the home side failed to create anything of note around the hour mark.

It could have got worse for Fylde as Johnson unleashed a shot which Hinchliffe had to be at full stretch to turn around his post with 20 minutes to go.

Into the final ten minutes and Fylde threw everything they could at Guiseley but to no avail.  Bradley Barnes’ powerful header sailed narrowly wide of the goal before Allen’s through-ball evaded Blinkhorn who slid in to try and get the final touch.

The final clear-cut chance fell to Josh Langley from another corner but his header also sailed wide of the mark

It was a disappointing end to a very successful season for The Coasters and despite the past two results the players can hold their heads high.  The promotion hopes are over for this campaign and Dave Challinor and Colin Woodthorpe will now look to regroup their squad and build for what will be a difficult second season in the Vanarama National North.

AFC Fylde: Hinchliffe, Denson (M. Barnes 75), Sumner, Langley, Hannigan, B. Barnes (C), Baker (Tomsett 69), Wilson (Blinkhorn 58), Rowe, Lloyd, Allen; Subs not used: Booth, Charles.

GOAL: Richie Allen (1)

YELLOW: Tom Hannigan (29), Danny Lloyd (87)

Guiseley: Drench, Toulson, Lowe, Holdsworth (C), Hall, Lawlor, Brooksby, D. Boshell (N. Boshell 90+1), Boyes (L. Dickinson 90+2), O. Johnson, Rothery; Subs not used:, A. Johnson, Stockdill, S. Dickinson.

GOAL: Danny Boshell (35), Holdsworth (57)

YELLOW: Wayne Brooksby (87)

HT: 1-1

ATT: 950

MOM: Adam Sumner

REFEREE: Ollie Yates


Shots On – 4/4

Shots Off – 3/3

Corners – 11/4

Offsides – 2/1

Fouls Conc. – 11/8

Yellows – 2/1

Reds – 0/0