National League North
Sat 15th November 2014
Score: 1 - 1

Match Report

AFC Fylde came away from North Ferriby with a well earned point after both sides cancelled each other out and neither could produce a match-winning moment.

After a quiet first period the second half burst into life when Liam Tomsett gave The Coasters the lead early on but within three minutes the home side had struck back with a Nathan Jarman header.

Dave Challinor made two changes to the side that started against Plymouth Argyle the week before, bringing Bradley Barnes back in as captain and also giving a rare start for Danny Lloyd who was one of just a few who impressed in the mid-week cup defeat to Holker Old Boys.

It was a first half of little or no action but an early chance from defender Liam King almost had Ben Hinchliffe scrambling back but the Fylde keeper was able to watch his half-volley sail over the cross bar.

With 23 minutes on the clock Jason St Juste was played in by a mistake from Luke Denson on the edge of his box but a fine double save from Ben Hinchliffe denied the winger a goal.

Seven minutes later Langley had a shot blocked by a defender and with 39 minutes on the clock Brad Barnes had the goal at his mercy but could only divert his header from Richie Allen’s cross into the path of a defender on the line.

The second half was very lively as both sides went in search of a way of winning the game.

An early cross from Denson was collected comfortably by Nicklin but he was beaten to the next cross into his box by Allen on 53 minutes who was able to knock it towards goal where Tomsett was on hand to tap in from close range and give Fylde the lead.

However it lasted all of three minutes as Ferriby won a free kick out on the right which was delivered by Jamie Yates for Jarman to head in unopposed from six yards.

The home side then began a period of domination where Hinchliffe had to pull off a number of decent saves to keep his side in the game.  The first of those came on 59 minutes when Jarman fired an excellent shot from distance which the Fylde stopper had to be at full stretch to tip onto his bar and away.

Jarman then came close with a curling effort from the edge of the box which Hinchliffe plucked out of the air before Liam King tested the Fylde keeper with a decent strike.

Danny Lloyd made a good break down the right for Fylde mid-way through the half and his square ball eventually found Mike Barnes who didn’t get enough on his low strike to trouble Nicklin.

The home side continued to press and King was unlucky to see a second effort sail over the crossbar before Ryan Kendall came off the bench to come within a whisker of nicking it with nine minutes to go when he headed a corner wide.

But the game ended with Richie Allen trying his hardest to sneak all three points right at the death but sent his best efforts either wide or over.

The result keeps The Coasters second in the table, four points behind Barrow, with another tough came coming up next at home to Stockport County on Saturday.

North Ferriby United: Nicklin, Black, Wilde, King (C), Gray, Anderson, Yates, D’Laryea, Denton (Kendall 76), Jarman, St Juste (Bolder 81); Subs not used: Nicholson, Hone, Peat.

GOAL: Nathan Jarman (56)

AFC Fylde: Hinchliffe, Denson, Sumner, Langley, Hannigan, B. Barnes (C), Tomsett (Booth 60, Hughes, Lloyd, M. Barnes (J. Allen 85), R. Allen; Subs not used: Potts, Rowe, Eckersley.

GOAL: Liam Tomsett (53)

HT: 0-0

ATT: 429

MOM: Josh Langley