Take a look behind-the-scenes at AFC Fylde, through the lens of club photographer Steve Mclellan.


The highs and lows behind the camera of a club photographer. 


Fylde last saw action in the National League North during the 2016/17 season, and one game particularly should still be fresh in everyone’s mind, the date 18th March 2017 and Fylde riding high faced play-off contenders Kidderminster Harriers.

Kiddie took a two goal lead, quite strange considering Fylde’s last handful of results, but service was to be resumed on the hour thanks to a Dan Bradley goal. The game became ill tempered to the point when Kiddie first had one man sent off only to be followed by a mass brawl in which Kiddie lost another man, plus Finley also seeing the officials red card.

However, there was to be one final twist in the match and it would send the Coasters fans into delirium. Kennedy whipped in a cross from left and Matty Blinkhorn, who had only entered the fray moments earlier, rose to nod a fabulous header out of the reach of Hornby into the far corner of the goal. 

This picture will go down in Fylde folklore, as for me a little self-control and enthusiasm, went straight out of the window, shouting and waving my hands in the air as if I’d won the lottery. Later on the liner came up to me and asked “have you calmed down yet.” The answer was no!



Another picture I look at fondly is that of our very own Chairman, David Haythornthwaite. I captured this picture of him celebrating by the dug-out after the final whistle when Fylde played and beat Halifax 1-0, leaving Fylde six points clear, and ready to face Boston Utd at the Easter break, when the win would seal us as Champions. 

The picture reminds me every time I open our home game programme, of that monumental day. 


I couldn’t leave out our two visits to Wembley and becoming the only team to win both the FA Vase & Trophy the total euphoria after the earlier weeks heartbreak, the expectations were high we surely could beat the money of Salford, it was our turn!!!  

An eerie feeling of hurt and sadness echoed around the Fylde quarter. We had done our best, but for this moment it just wasn’t to be. 


And finally… the FA Trophy win! 

Chally had a week to bring his troops back into order and that certainly happened, coming up against champions Leyton Orient. Fylde hearts refused to be broken again, and that sweet free-kick from just outside the penalty area on 60 minutes taken by the fans favourite Danny Rowe was enough to see off the Londoners and the Trophy headed north to Lancashire.

I had two fantastic experiences at Wembley, something I could only dream of although the first spoils went to Salford City, we have a title that no one can take away.

Thank you AFC Fylde, for the memories.