This feature divulges into the past and looks at the success that The Coasters have had since the re-branding as AFC Fylde. This time, we look back on last season’s draw away at Matlock Town…..

Matlock Town 1-1 AFC Fylde  (09/11/13)

The Coasters league action continued at the beginning of November and they had to come back from a goal down at half time to claim a well deserved point away to Matlock Town  thanks to 50th minute equaliser from Andy Russell.

Danny Holland slotted in from close range seven minutes before the break to give his side the lead as Fylde struggled to gain any momentum inside the first half, but five minutes into the second period, Andy Russell smashed home an equaliser from six yards after Matlock goalkeeper Jon Kennedy had spilled Mike Barnes’ free kick.

After Holland missed a chance for a very early lead inside the first minute, Danny Lloyd could have given The Coasters the lead after three minutes but shot across the face of the goal and wide.

But it was Matlock who looked the more likely to score inside the first half hour, Micky Harcourt and Corey Gregory both shot high and wide within minues of each other with their best chances of the first 15 minutes.

After a period where no clear cut chances were created from either side it was Matlock who eventually struck for the lead seven minutes before the break. Gregory sent a defence-splitting through ball between Fylde’s centre backs and Holland beat the offside trap to race through and beat Ben Hinchliffe one-on-one with a first time shot.

That goal kicked Fylde into life and within two minutes Brad Barnes missed the best chance of the half when he couldn’t get enough power onto Michael Barnes’ cross, heading wide from five yards. Fylde were still in this game and in the second half they came out much stronger and had equalised within five minutes of the restart.

The Coasters won a free kick 35 yards out from goal which Mike Barnes swung into the area. And when Kennedy couldn’t keep hold of the ball Russell was on hand to poke the ball home from close range to make it 1-1.

After that, the game continued to be open and end-to-end. Matlock had a good chance to re-take the lead on 57 minutes when Liam Needham’s effort from the edge of the box deflected of Luke Denson but Hinchliffe stretched well to deny the goal.

Possibly the best chance for a winner for either side fell to Dave Hankin just after the hour – Brad Barnes beat the keeper to the ball inside the area and layed it back to Hankin who shot wide with the goal at his mercy.

With 20 minutes left, it was anybody’s game and just one mistake from either defence would allow the opposition in for what would have surely been a winning goal. Lewis McMahon shot wildly wide on the turn before Lloyd produced a good save from Kennedy and from the resulting corner, Harry Winter scuffed a shot high which Kennedy comfortably gathered.

McMahon did better on 80 minutes when he was able to send a looping cross into the six yard box with Hinchliffe off his line, but the ball was thankfully cleared away with two strikers ready to pounce.But the last meaningful effort of the match fell to Lloyd who fired at Kennedy’s goal from distance but it was no trouble for the Matlock keeper.

The draw was probably the right result on the day, in a season where The Coasters managed to gain promotion from the Evo Stik Northern Premier League.

Coasters XI that day:  

Starting XI:       Hinchliffe, Hankin (Duffield 90+3), Sumner (Booth 78), M. Hughes (C), Russell, C. Hughes, B. Barnes, Winter, Lloyd, M. Barnes, Denson.

Subs not used: Charnley, Gregory, Mullen.

Other games from this week:

05/11/13 – The Coasters were beaten 2-1 at home to Nantwich in the league just before this 1-1 draw with Matlock.

06/11/12 – Atherton Laburnum Rovers were swept aside 6-2 in the Lancashire FA Trophy as Fylde went on to win the trophy in the new year that season.

05/11/11 – In the NPL Division One North, Cammell Laird were beaten 4-0 at Kellamergh Park as the Coasters went on to win the league that season.

08/11/08 – In their first season as AFC Fylde, when the Coasters were in the North West Counties Premier Division, they defeated Atherton Collieries 5-0 away from home in the Vodkat League Cup.