This feature explores past AFC Fylde results week by week. This time, we look back on last season’s 4-0 win away at Buxton in the Evo Stik Premier League……

Buxton 0-4 AFC Fylde (01/02/2014)

A Wonderful individual performance from Danny Lloyd capped off a very impressive 4-0 away victory at Buxton on a pitch that had been severely affected by adverse weather conditions.

Uncertainty struck on the morning of the game as nobody knew whether the game was going to go ahead and even up to 2 hours before kick-off, nobody was sure that the game would be played due to the adverse weather conditions in Buxton. Never-the-less, the game went ahead and The Coasters recorded their sixth straight victory in impressive fashion.

Most people would have thought that this would suit the home team Buxton but they failed to convert any of the chances that they made in the game. In fairness to Buxton, they didn’t play that badly and probably didn’t deserve to lose by four goals but The Coasters will take the win and result was the most important aspect of the game.


Lee Morris had the first shot of the game belonged to him but it sailed harmlessly wide of ‘keeper Ben Hinchliffe’s post. Buxton boasted former Football League stars Andy Warrington and Derek Niven, with the latter having the second attempt of the game, going close with a shot outside the area.


Then came the moment which really put the Coasters in charge in the match. In the 41st minute, Danny Lloyd took the ball past a couple of players before playing a one-two and then firing past the on—rushing Warrington. It was a goal of real quality and it was probably the pivotal point in the match.


The second half started much like the first with Buxton on top, searching for a goal. Craig King and sub Mark Reed had efforts before Fylde could really get going in the second period.


Fylde added their second of the game soon after though through Lloyd before Joe curled a cultured shot just wide of the far post with the outside of his right foot. It would have been a quality strike from Booth but it went narrowly wide.


With 5 minutes left it looked unlikely that The Coasters would add to their already impressive score, but they did. Lloyd got it after beating a couple of players and then placing a shot into the bottom corner.


The fourth and final goal was put away in added on time. A corner was cleared, then played back in towards the back post where Andy Russell was standing waiting to tap the ball in from a yard out.

Coasters XI that day:  Hinchliffe, Hankin, Sumner, M Hughes (C), Russell, B. Barnes, Lloyd, Booth, Blinkhorn, Cooke (86), Allen (48);

Subs: M. Barnes (48), C. Hughes (86), Denson, Charnley, Mullen.