This feature divulges into the past and looks at the success that The Coasters have had since the re-branding as AFC Fylde. This time, we look back on last season’s 2-0 defeat to FC United of Manchester in December 2013…

AFC Fylde 0-2 FC United of Manchester (14/12/13)

The Coasters suffered defeat against their promotion rivals FC United of Manchester courtesy of goals from Greg Daniels and Callum Byrne at a dangerously windy Kellamergh Park.

The conditions during this game weren’t exactly brilliant due to obscene weather, and that really took out all of the quality in this game, although there were quite a few talking points.

FCUM striker Michael Norton play the entire second half in goal in place of the injured James Spencer, there were 13 minutes of stoppage-time due to the referee going down injured, and Tom Hutton had to fill in as linesman for the remainder of the game. 

Back to the football on the pitch, and the home side started the game with the wind at their backs, the weather seeming to unsettle the FC United defence. A short pass from Dean Stott let Marcus Carver in but centre-back Tom Davies defended well. Tom Greaves then had a couple of good chances but he couldn’t find the back of the net.

Luke Denson and Matt Blinkhorn had good chances to break the deadlock in the first half but neither could find that all important finishing touch.

However, on 36 minutes, FC United took the lead. A throw on the left found Mulholland who turned and fed Daniels who finished clinically into the bottom corner. Shortly after came Spencer’s injury – in the scramble to clear a Coasters corner off the line, goalkeeper Spencer went down with an injury to his knee. After a short break it was clear Spencer couldn’t continue and he was replaced by substitute Norton who is actually a striker.

In a game of few chances, The Coasters passed the ball around and tried to play their usual game but it wasn’t to be, and just after the hour mark, FC United scored a second. Birch ran at the home defence but saw his shot blocked, the rebound fell to Byrne who made no mistake second time round.

More drama unfolded with 15 minutes to go when the referee Mr Gittins pulled up with an injury. After a stoppage for almost a quarter of an hour, Fylde’s community officer Tom Hutton volunteered to fill in as a linesman, allowing one of the assistant officials to take over on the field as the referee. 

It was a strange game in which neither team could really play their game, and unfortunately for The Coasters it wasn’t a game which went their way and FC United left Kellamergh Park with all three points.

Coasters XI v FC United of Manchester: Hinchliffe, Denson, Sumner, Eckersley, Russell, Hughes, B. Barnes, Winter, Blinkhorn, Carver, Chippendale.

Subs Used: Booth for B. Barnes (90+7), Winslade for Chippendale (75) and Dorney for Winter (75).

Let’s hope we can write more history this Saturday against Gainsborough Trinity in the FA Trophy!