This  feature divulges into the past and looks at the success that The Coasters have had since the re-branding as AFC Fylde. This time, we look back on last season’s 3-1 win at home to Whitby Town in the Evo-Stik Premier Division……

AFC Fylde 3-1 Whitby Town (26/10/13)

A great comeback from AFC Fylde saw The Coasters win this match by 3 goals to 1, and deservedly so. Substitute Danny Lloyd was the difference maker as he was fouled for the equalizing penalty and he scored the third goal to wrap up the victory.

The Coasters started really well, and after nine minutes Matty Blinkhorn’s header cannoned off the crossbar. It was a first half in which Fylde largely dominated in which they had a lot of the ball, despite not taking the lead.

It was somewhat of a surprise to see that the half time score was in the away sides favour, as Whitby went into the break 1-0 up against the run of play thanks to a fairly dubious penalty decision by the referee. Most of the ground were incensed that a penalty was given, as none of their players even appealed for it. However, the referee’s decision is always final and the visitors took the lead through Craig Farrell from 12 yards out.

Just a few minutes later and Fylde should have been level. Michael Barnes put in a sublime cross and Harry Winter came storming in which a bullet header, but again the Coasters player was denied by the woodwork. It just wasn’t looking like Fylde’s day.

Barnes and Winter had further opportunities to equalise but neither took their chances. Matty Hughes then hit the post from another Michael Barnes delivery and it was beginning to look like Whitby were about to win a match in which they barely created a chance, apart from the penalty.

The defining moment however came on 69 minutes when Danny Lloyd replaced Caspar Hughes. Five minutes after coming on, Lloyd won a penalty after being brought down by a Whitby defender in the box. Left back Adam Sumner stepped up and confidently converted the spot kick with aplomb. The Coasters were back in it.

Just two minutes later and the game had been completely turned on its head. Matty Blinkhorn somehow found himself one on one with Whitby keeper Shane Bland and he squeezed the ball home from a tight angle. It was no more than Fylde deserved and a win was in their sights.

There was just enough time for Lloyd to get a goal himself, as the impressive Blinkhorn beat the offside trap and played the former in to tap the ball into the empty net. Even though Lloyd was only on the pitch for just over 20 minutes, he made the difference in this match and The Coasters picked up all three points in this largely one sided affair.

Coasters XI that day:  

AFC Fylde: Hinchliffe, Hankin, Sumner, M Hughes, Russell, C Hughes (69), Winter, B. Barnes, M. Barnes, Blinkhorn, Mahon.

Subs: Lloyd (69), Dorney, Charnley, Denson, Booth.

Other games from this week:

23/10/2010 – Warrington Town 1-1 AFC Fylde in the NPL Division One North

21/10/2008 – AFC Fylde 4-1 Nelson in the North West Counties Premier Division