The Coasters fell off the top of the Vanarama Concerence North table after drawing with bottom of the table Hyde 1-1 at Kellamergh Park.

This result, teamed with Barrow’s 2-0 win at Worcester City leaves the Coasters two points behind their title rivals having played a game more.

Dave Challinor named the same side that had blown Worcester City away on Tuesday night and the home side started brightly and should have taken the lead when a mix up in the Hyde defence gifted Danny Rowe the ball but he volleyed wide from close range when it seemed easier to score.

Just a couple of minutes previously Rowe had another good chance when he flicked a header from aRichie Baker corner but it went narrowly wide of the right post.

Fylde made good work of the flanks but when the crosses came in there was often no-one on hand to put them away. Matty Blinkhorn had several good chances from crosses but couldn’t beat an impressive Ed Wilczynski in the Hyde goal. 

The Tigers had their first good effort when Connor Hughes ran at Josh Langley before cutting onto his right foot and firing a shot from 20 yards which went wide of the Fylde goal. Hyde’s wide men Hughes and Erike Sousa were arguably the standout players for the visitors.

Hyde had another decent effort when Liam Brownhill struck a powerful low drive from 25 yards but it was straight at Ben Hinchliffe.

Josh Wilson had another solid game for the Coasters and he almost gave them the lead with a flicked header at the near post from a Richie Baker corner. Danny Rowe then had a powerful low free kick saved by Wilczynski. 

With half time looming the Coasters had arguably their best two chances of the half. Dion Charles was put through one on one by Danny Rowe but he was caught in two minds and tried to round the keeper but Wilczynski gathered the ball instead. A minute later Danny Lloyd went closest of all with a great swerving volley from 20 yards which went narrowly wide of the top right corner. 

Just four minutes into the second half and Lloyd gave the Coasters the lead. After several Fylde players got the ball caught under their feet it fell to Lloyd at the far post to tuck it past Wilczynski. Lloyd had a glorious chance to make it two when he was put through one on one but this time the keeper got the better of him saving a powerful shot from 12 yards.

On the hour mark the visitors struck a suprise equaliser when Ryan Masterson burst into the penalty area before tucking a low shot underneath Hinchliffe which both Hannigan and Langley could not clear, sending the travelling Tigers fans into ecstasy.

Dion Charles then made way for Richie Allen and a few minutes later Joe Booth came on for Matt Blinkhorn but the Coasters struggled to fashion many clear chances until the very end.

It was the visitors who had the next big chance as Holmes tried an audacious overhead kick from a Sousa cross but it was always looping wide of Hinchliffe’s goal.  Moments later Richie Allen blazed a shot over from 18 yards after cutting in from the right hand side.

Josh Wilson was replaced by ex Hyde loanee Liam Tomsett and within seconds of his arrival the Coasters nearly took the lead when a volley from Lloyd was blocked off the line by Jack Pritchard and Coasters fans began to feel this wasn’t their day.

Four minutes of injury time were shown but no real chances were created and the Coasters had to settle for a share of the spoils. The Tigers were relegated after this result as Colwyn Bay won 2-0 at Harrogate Town.


AFC Fylde: Hinchliffe,Hughes,Sumner,Langley,Hannigan (C) Baker,Blinkhorn (Booth 69),Wilson (Tomsett 84),Rowe,Lloyd,Charles (Allen 61)

Subs not used:Denson,Mullen
Goals: Lloyd (49)


Wilczynski,Burke,Brownhill,Pritchard,Brizell (C),Giverin,Sousa,Pearson,
Subs: Riley,Broadbent,Hibbs,Boyle,Gregory
Goals: Masterson (61)
HT: 0-0
FT: 1-1

Attendance: 481

MOM: Tom Hannigan