AFC Fylde were held to a 1-1 draw by promotion-rivals Nuneaton Town despite controlling play for much of the match. 

The game sparked into life in the 25th minute when David Morgan was shown a straight red card for a wild lunge on Richie Baker and Danny Rowe capitalised moments later with a near post header.

However, the hosts came out after the break a revitalised side and drew level on 48 minutes through Elliott Whitehouse.

Coasters boss Dave Challinor made three changes to the side that lost to Alfreton Town on Saturday with new signing Bohan Dixon coming in for Dion Charles, Caspar Hughes in for Adam Sumner and Brad Barnes replacing the suspended Sam Finley.

The game started very slowly with neither side creating many opportunities and struggling to maintain possession or a stronghold on proceedings. Midfielder Barnes let fly with a ferocious right foot drive from 20 yards however it flew wide of Jordan Smith’s goal.

The hosts responded when Wes McDonald squared the ball for Whitehouse to fire a shot from the edge of the box but thankfully for the Coasters defence he scuffed his effort well over the bar.

The game burst into life midway through the first half when Nuneaton defender Morgan was shown a straight red card for a nasty foul on Baker.

Fylde made their advantage count almost immediately when Matty Hughes crossed from the right for Rowe to flick a header into the bottom left corner to the delight of the travelling fans. There was almost a carbon copy of the goal moments later but this time Rowe was off target with his header.

Dixon saw a shot blocked on the edge of the area and was involved as Fylde almost doubled their advantage on 37 minutes. The towering midfielder danced past his man and fed Lloyd on the left who in turn crossed for the lurking Matty Hughes, but the ball was just out of reach for the winger.

Dixon then saw a fierce drive fly just over the bar in the last of the action in a first half which perhaps needed the dismissal to see any real action.

Nuneaton flew out of the blocks in the second half and were level inside two minutes when Whitehouse drilled the ball home from the edge of the box after being teed up by Tyrell Waite.

The hosts had a great chance to take the lead straight after the break when Cieran Keane stole the ball off Caspar Hughes on the right hand side on the half way line. Keane raced down the line and crossed for Joe Ironside who failed to get any real connection when unmarked in the penalty area and the ball rolled just wide of Urwin’s right post.

Matty Hughes was replaced by Dion Charles on the hour mark and the youngster immediately looked dangerous.

Fylde dominated the last 25 minutes creating several decent chances with substitute Matt Blinkhorn making a nuisance of himself.

Nuneaton’s Jordan Keane tried his luck with a fierce shot from 25 yards out but his effort was well over the bar.

Blinkhorn had a great chance with five minutes to go when he flicked a Caspar Hughes cross just wide of the left hand post but the best opportunity to win it fell to James Hardy in added time. The substitute controlled a high ball brilliantly six yards from goal but somehow fired over the bar when it looked easier to score.

AFC Fylde: Urwin, C.Hughes, Crainey, Langley, Hannigan (C), Baker, M.Hughes (61), Barnes (55), Rowe, Dixon, Lloyd (64)

Subs: Hardy (64), Sumner, Blinkhorn (55), Hinchliffe, Charles (61)

Nuneaton: Smith, Clifton, Keane, Morgan, Keane, Rowe-Turner, Waite (60), Byrne (C), Ironside, Whitehouse, McDonald (28)

Subs: Duffy, De La Paz, Dawson (60), Warburton, Lane (28)

Att: 528

Ref: Tom Bramall