The Coasters progressed in the Emirates FA Cup, following a convincing display against fellow National League North side, Farsley Celtic.


Luke Burgess showed a lethal touch in front of goal, scoring twice, either side of the ever-dangerous Nick Haughton who scored again. 

The home side pulled one back through forward, Jake Charles, but despite the late pressure it was too-little-too-late. 

After making four changes to his starting XI from Saturday’s trip to Gateshead, Jim Bentley was looking for his side to continue their recent fine form. A quiet opening 10 minutes or so, quickly came to life when Kurt Willoughby was played in by Haughton, only for his shot to find the side netting. 

Just a few minutes later however, Burgess was to net his first of the game. A swift break down the right saw the ball played across the box, where the on-loan youngster took control and fired a left-footed effort into the top corner. 

It was then all Fylde, as we went in search of a second, which swiftly arrived. The goalscoring form of Haughton coming into the match was well known, and he then carried that on. The forward chased down the home defence and managed to flick the ball around the onrushing ‘keeper, rounding him and finishing off from outside the box. 

The forward line of Burgess, Willoughby, Haughton and Nathan Shaw continued to cause issues throughout the half, but there were no further goals prior to the half time whistle. 

HALF TIME: Farsley Celtic 0-2 AFC Fylde

There were no changes for either side at the half-time whistle, but the message remained clear for the Coasters, to carry on where they had left off.

Just seconds had passed before Burgess had a chance, firing into the side netting off-balance. The home side then looked to hit back, but experienced ‘keeper Chris Neal was in fine form and made a solid save to deny the hosts a way back into the match.

Multiple attacks came and went at both ends in a match that was seeing both teams beginning to tire, which meant changes were made by both managers. It was however to be one of the starting XI for Fylde that appeared to have finished the match.

A free-flowing move which saw the impressive right-hand-side partnership of Luke Burke and Shaw link up, began an attack. The ball was played across the middle where Haughton flicked it on again to Burgess, allowing the forward to strike into the bottom corner and net his second of the match. 

A scruffy set-play towards the end and a goalmouth scramble meant that Charles could pounce and pull one back for Farsley, and despite then going on to hit the post, Bentley’s side held out and are through to the Fourth Qualifying Round in this years Emirates FA Cup.

FULL TIME: Farsley Celtic 1-3 AFC Fylde