AFC Fylde 0 – 3 Salford City

Dieseruvwe ’15, Piergianni 53′, Touray 61′

AFC Fylde’s dream of promotion to the Football League this season suffered a cruel end at Wembley Stadium, at the hands of Salford City.

Fylde struggled to recover from an early goal from Dieseruvwe, whilst The Ammies finished strongly to earn themselves promotion to the Football League at the first attempt.

The Coasters remained unchanged from their semi-final win at Solihull Moors, whilst Adam Rooney missed out for Salford following an injury sustained in their penalty shoot-out win against Eastleigh.

First Half

Fylde had a golden chance early on, as a ball was chipped delicately into Dan Bradley’s path – but his powered cross-shot was just a stretch too far for Alex Reid to reach.

Salford grew into the game, and after Luke Burke sustained what appeared to be an early hamstring injury, they had their first chance.

Scott Wiseman teed up a Fylde clearance and sent a brilliant half volley narrowly wide of Jay Lynch’s right-hand post.

Rowe had the chance to put himself amongst a select club of free-kick scorers at Wembley, after Dan Bradley was bought down by Nathan Pond, with the Salford defender being shown a yellow card.

The free-kick from Rowe, however, couldn’t quite beat the wall, and the chance came to nothing, with Salford resetting themselves well.

After recovering from this, Salford had themselves ahead.

After winning a free-kick 35 yards from goal on the left-hand side, a defensive blunder saw Rowe’s clearance bounce back off Luke Burke and into the path of Mani Dieseruvwe, who made no mistake from close range.

Early replays of the goal suggested Dieseruvwe was in an offside potion when the free-kick first came in, which rubbed salt into the wound.

Burke was replaced soon after, clearly struggling from the earlier injury, and was replaced by former Salford City forward Nick Haughton, with Andy Bond shifting to right-back.

The next key chance came Salford’s way, as Pond managed to wriggle free of his marker, but his header looped just wide of the mark.

Both Bradley and Croasdale had long-range efforts that worked Chris Neal from distance, as Fylde grew into the game on the half-hour mark.

The Coasters’ best opportunity of the game came as Bond played a one-two with Haughton, before bursting into the box and sending an effort over the bar.

A lengthy stoppage followed as Jordan Tunnicliffe had to receive medical treatment for the cut above this eye following a challenge with Dieseruvwe, but the Coasters went in at half-time behind.

Second Half

Fylde started with higher intensity and looked to work Francis-Angol down the left to create opportunities, combining well with Nick Haughton.

However, the first clear chance came the way of The Ammies, as Dieseruvwe diving header at the near post narrowly evaded the back of the net.

Despite Fylde looking more positive, it was a second set-piece that ultimately undid the Coasters.

A precise cross from Touray was met by the towering Piergianni, who powered his header beyond Lynch, and gave AFC Fylde a mountain to climb.

On the hour mark, however, the lead became unassailable, as Ibou Touray’s driving run into the box went unchecked, and he curled a cross-cum-shot into the post far post, and into the net.

The 3-0 scoreline perhaps flattered The Ammies, but in truth, the Coasters hadn’t created enough clear cut chances of their own to feel hard done by.

With twenty minutes to go, Danny Philliskirk’s 20-yard effort was tipped behind by Chris Neal, before the keeper scooped up the resulting corner without much trouble.

Chances fell to James Hardy who, 10 minutes from time, sent the ball crashing into the side netting – and although, the travelling Fylde fans celebrated what they thought was a goal, it wasn’t troubling Chris Neal.

The game petered out, with Salford happy to hold onto their comfortable lead, and the Coasters Football League dream would have to wait another year.



AFC Fylde: Lynch, Francis-Angol, Byrne, Tunnicliffe, Bond (Crawford), Croasdale, Rowe, Philliskirk, Burke (Haughton), Bradley, Reid (Hardy).

Subs: Crawford, Griffiths, Hardy, Haughton, Odusina.

Salford City: Neal, Wiseman, Touray, Mafuta (Rodney), Hogan, Piergianni, Maynard, Redmond, Whitehead (Shelton), Dieseruvwe (Gaffney), Pond.

Subs: Crocombe, Rodney, Gaffney. Shelton, Walker.