The Coasters fell to a late, late defeat at the hands of Barnet, after Danny Rowe’s free-kick looked like enough to salvage a point.

The Bees led 1-0 at half-time thanks to a fine Harry Taylor strike, before Danny Rowe powered a 60th minute free-kick beyond Scott Loach.

But the Londoners had the final say, as Simeon Akinola sent a crashing header in off of the bar in the 92nd minute to break Coasters hearts.

It was the hosts who started the stronger of the two sides, with Tutonda and Walker almost combining early on – but the former just couldn’t reach the powerful cross.

Fylde’s Jordan Williams, fresh from an FA Cup double, looked the most likely to make something happen, controlling it in the box before forcing Loach into a low save.

As the game developed, Barnet continued to see plenty of the ball in dangerous areas – and with David Tutonda being felled, the Bees appealed for a penalty – but the referee wasn’t interested.

The Coasters had to be patient with their chances, and were almost rewarded, when Dan Bradley rose highest from a corner – but he skewed his header wide, which would prove to be costly.

In the next attack, Barnet took the lead, with Jack Taylor being found in space in the middle.

With three goals in the last four matches, Taylor had one thing on his mind – setting himself before firing a fantastic effort inside the right post, which Hornby had no chance with.

To their credit, Barnet came again with the same intensity, and could have had a second before the break as Taylor danced into the area – but Duxbury was on hand to make a good clearance.

HALF-TIME: Barnet 1 – 0 AFC Fylde

The second half saw Fylde begin by restricting Barnet to long ranged efforts – Hornby looking comfortable with efforts from Fonguck and Jack Taylor.

Manager Jim Bentley wanted more from his side though, and with the hour mark approaching replaced Bradley and Philliskirk with Montrose and Haughton.

The change paid dividends almost immediately, as Haughton’s quick feet saw him earn a free-kick little over 20 yards from goal, perfect to angle an effort at goal.

Danny Rowe stood up and, having last scored a free-kick not four miles away at Wembley Stadium, eyed up Scott Loach.

This time though, it required power – and his right-footed effort was struck with such venom that Loach was left scrambling across his goal.

His efforts couldn’t prevent Rowe finding the back of the net, however, and the Coasters were level in a game they had been largely second best in.

This sent a new lease of life through the Coasters side, who were close to adding a second when Nick Haughton’s cross was nearly turned in by one of a number of waiting white shirts.

Barnet soon woke up though, and despite looking like the most likely to make something happen, couldn’t breach a resolute Coasters outfit, lead by captain Montrose.

The Coasters soaked up pressure and looked to release either Kosylo or Williams, but the corner count kept rising, and before long proved critical.

Deep into injury time, an inswinging corner found Simeon Akinola free in the box, with the in form forward sending a powerful header off of the bar, and wrapping up all three points for Barnet.


Barnet: Loach, Alexander, Johnson, Reynolds, Dunne (C), Taylor, Akinola, H.Taylor, Fonguck (Adams 90’), Walker (Vilhete 85’), Tutonda (78’).

Subs unused: Azaze, Vasilou

AFC Fylde: Hornby, Duxbury, Byrne (C), Whitmore, Burke, Croasdale, Philliskirk (Haughton 58’), Bradley (Montrose 58’), Williams, Yeates, Rowe (Kosylo 85’).

Subs unused: Lavercombe, Jameson.