Kingstonian 0 – 2 AFC Fylde

Williams 9′, 45′

Attendance: 1460

AFC Fylde made history with a comfortable 2-0 win at Kingstonian, booking a place in the Third Round of The FA Cup for the very first time.

Two goals from Jordan Williams before the interval ensured there would be no upsets in front of the watching tv cameras.

The side remained unchanged from the midweek victory over Wrexham, looking to extend the winning run to three in all competitions.

And thanks to an early strike from Jordan Williams, the Coasters looked set to do just that.

After an opening eight or so minutes where the teams were feeling their way into the game, the Coasters got a corner which Mark Yeates stood up to deliver.

His deep cross found Dan Bradley but his header was blocked, and cleared into the path of Jordan Williams.

Williams didn’t need to be asked twice, and rifled it back goalwards, with it taking a helpful deflection along the way – the net rippling, and the Coasters taking an early lead.

From here on in, the game opened up, with Kingstonian looking to their top scorer Theophanous to cause the problems.

It was he who was the most likely, opening up space before dragging a shot just wide of Sam Hornby’s post – a sign as to what they were capable of.

Danny Rowe looked keen to add to his FA Cup tally of three goals, and when Bradley was hauled down on the edge of the box, gave him a golden opportunity.

His free-kick was a powerful one which tried to catch Rob Tolfrey out – but the keeper was equal to it, diving to his right to make a routine stop.

Whilst the K’s were keen to draw level, Fylde’s threat was clear to see, with Jordan Williams looking unplayable.

His driving run at goal created an opportunity which, after a mis-hit, fell at the feet of Ryan Croasdale 10 yards from goal – but Tolfrey was there to make a fantastic stop from the low shot.

A flurry of Coasters chances followed, and after Duxbury’s left footed volley almost bested Tolfrey – Rowe curled a left footed effort just over the bar.

The signs were there that a second wasn’t far away – and just on the stroke of half-time, it came.

Ryan Croasdale, making a nuisance of himself as usual, was picked out in the box, and although he couldn’t control it, his presence caused chaos for the K’s, and left Williams unmarked.

The ball fell kindly to Williams, who lashed it gleefully into an open net – and changed the nature of the game completely heading into the break.

HALF TIME: Kingstonian 0 – 2 AFC Fylde

With their noses in front, the second half required a different performance from the Coasters – knowing full well that Kingstonian would soon be throwing caution to the wind.

After a steady restart to proceedings, Kingstonian did step up – with danger man Theophanous at the heart of it again.

Bustling his way goalwards, he sent an effort which looked to be crashing in off of the near post – only for Sam Hornby to make a fantastic stop, diving to his left.

The Coasters soaked up the pressure well however, and soon had the chance to put the game beyond reprieve, as Jordan Williams looked destined to complete his hat-trick.

An improvised back heel almost caught Tolfrey off guard and creeped in, before a massive opportunity fell his way in the final knockings.

With substitute Kosylo cutting the ball back to Williams in the six yard box, he composed himself, but then managed to send it crashing over the bar.

Ultimately, it was of no significance, as the Coasters battled into injury time, to see out the result, and book their place in the Third Round of The FA Cup for the first time in the club’s history.


Kingstonian: Tolfrey, Clohessy, Saraiva, Cooper (C), Cook, Kavanagh (Davies 74’), Bennett, Beaney, Theophanous, Hall (Davies 74’), Hector (Bamba 67’).

Subs unused: Bull, Thompson, Davies, Bamba.

AFC Fylde: Hornby, Duxbury, Byrne (C), Whitmore, Burke, Croasdale, Philliskirk, Bradley (Kosylo 75’), Williams, Yeates (Craigen 85’), Rowe (Montrose 65’)

Subs unused: Lavercombe, Jameson, Taylor Haughton