AFC Fylde suffered a damaging defeat in their pursuit for second spot in the league, going down 3-2 to promotion rivals North Ferriby United.

The visitors took the lead shortly before the break through Nathan Hotte before Liam King doubled the advantage. Dion Charles pulled on back for the hosts but striker Tom Denton restored the two-goal cushion.

Sam Finley’s wondergoal in the dying embers of the match gave the Coasters hope but Ferriby held on to claim a valuable three points, despite Matty Hughes seeing a goal disallowed in the last minute.

AFC Fylde manager Dave Challinor made two changes to the side that drew 1-1 with Stalybridge Celtic in the week with Richie Baker replacing Bohan Dixon and Stephen Crainey in for the injured Adam Sumner.

Both sides had sighters in the opening stages with Hotte firing well over for the visitors before Danny Rowe struck a similar effort over the bar at the opposite end.

Fylde had a glorious chance to open the scoring on 10 minutes when James Hardy raced clear of the Ferriby backline, however he could only poke the ball straight at the goalkeeper from six yards.

Ferriby dangerman Denton fashioned his first attempt of the afternoon a few moments later when he met Danny Clarke’s cross from the right, but his header was comfortable for Ben Hinchliffe. He went closer still with his next effort, scooping a strike narrowly over the Fylde crossbar.

The game was providing little in the way of goalmouth action and Finley looked to change that midway through the half when he broke into the box, but his left-footed shot was tame.

Some intricate passing on the edge of the visitors almost saw Fylde break through but no one could get a shot away.

Rowe provided the home fans with a moment of magic as he skipped past two challenges of the left before squaring to youngster Hardy who inexplicably fired over from almost point-blank range.

The visitors broke the deadlock perhaps against the run of play four minutes from the break when Denton flicked on for Hotte to hook the ball on to the underside of the crossbar and over the line.

The game had barely restarted when Ferriby doubled their lead. Substitute Wayne Brooksby delivered a ball in from the left and Liam King glanced a header into the bottom corner of Hinchliffe’s goal.

Just when it looked like Fylde would go in two down at the interval, Charles reduced the arears when he burst through the Ferriby defence and slid the ball past Adam Nicklin.

After a quiet opening to the second half, Rowe should have drawn the sides level. The ball fell kindly for the big frontman but instead of hitting it first time he elected to find an easier opening and ended up running into trouble and his eventual shot was saved.

Fylde were immediately punished for their wastefulness on 55 minutes as Ferriby extended their advantage. Josh Wilde crossed from the left and Denton got a yard on Tom Hannigan and nodded home.

Fantastic interplay around the Ferriby penalty box saw Baker clean through but his touch took him wide. His cut back found Rowe however his crisp low strike was blocked on the line by Danny Hone.

Denton was a constant thorn in the side of the Fylde backline and again went close with 15 minutes to play, heading inches wide of the far post.

The hosts dragged themselves back into the contest with just eight minutes to play when Finley smashed the ball home from 25 yards for his second goal of the week.

Rowe almost completed the comeback a minute later but his looping header landed on the roof of the net. Substitute Danny Lloyd also tried his luck racing down the left before shooting narrowly wide of the near post.

Fylde had the ball in the back of the net with a minute to go when Matty Hughes tapped home Caspar Hughes’ strike at the back post, however the home supporter’s wild celebrations were cut short by the linesman’s flag.


AFC Fylde: Hinchliffe, C. Hughes, Hannigan, Langley, Crainey (68), Barnes (80), Baker, Finley, Charles, Hardy (68), Rowe.

Subs: Urwin, Dixon (80), Lloyd (68), M. Hughes (68), Blinkhorn.

North Ferriby: Nicklin, Middleton, Wilde, King, Palmer, Hone, Clarke, Fry, Denton, Hotte, Bateson (31).

Subs: Bolder, Kendall, Grey, Brooksby (31), Topliss.

Ref: Andrew Miller.

Att:  511