AFC Fylde’s eight-game unbeaten run came to an end as they lost 2-0 to Salford City. A first-half strike from Tom Walker put the visitors one nil up followed by an Adam Rooney strike in the second half.

Dave Challinor made just one change to the starting XI as Jordan Tunnicliffe returned to the starting line-up replacing the on-loan Danny Kane who is away on international duty with Republic of Ireland U21’s.

Fylde found themselves under early pressure with Salford’s front line causing numerous problems, yet the best chance of the first 15 minutes came to the Coasters. James Hardy found himself one on one with Nathan Pond, he managed to play in Rowe whose shot was blocked by the former Fleetwood Town skipper.

Having dominated the majority of the ball Salford’s first real chance came from a header which was cleared off the line by Danny Rowe who found himself in unfamiliar territory.
Soon after Adam Rooney and Nick Haughton combined well to create another goalscoring opportunity. The play opened up and Haughton shot from 25 yards out putting his effort well over the bar.

Salford continued to attack, this time it was Rooney who struck a low left-footed effort towards goal giving Fylde stopper Jay Lynch his first save of the match.

Minutes later Lynch was unable to save the Coasters as Salford’s Tom Walker broke down the right finding himself one on one with the shot stopper. Walker struck a powerful effort which nestled in the bottom right corner giving the Ammies a 1-0 lead.

It was almost 2-0 soon after as a long ball found Rooney in space on the left, he cut in on his right foot and shot just inches wide of the right top corner.

Fylde came back strong with Rowe twisting and turning his man and hitting a shot with his left causing Chris Neal into his first save of the game as he tipped the effort over the bar.

Just after the half-hour mark Salford defender Nathan Pond was carded for a mistimed lunge on the advancing Jim Kellermann. The resulting free-kick was hit into the wall by Rowe and out for a corner. Hardly floated it in finding Ryan Croasdale whose free header went wide of the target.

Jim Kellermann was booked five minutes later for a late challenge on Nathan Pond in what seemed like retaliation for the earlier offence from the Salford man.

Some fantastic backtracking from Danny Rowe helped AFC Fylde win the ball back in their own half. He drove the team forward with the resulting attack ending with a speculative effort from Hemmings which was well saved.

Challinor made two substitutions at the break, with Tom Brewitt making his home debut in place of Ash Hemmings, while Gime Toure came on for James Hardy.

Despite the changes, AFC Fylde continued to struggle to cope with Salford City’s attack. This time Nick Haughton found Rory Gaffney with a brilliantly weighted ball, the striker tried to find Adam Rooney but the ball was cleared over his own bar by Zaine Francis-Angol. The resulting corner was well dealt with by the Fylde defence.

Haughton continued to cause the Coasters problems as he zipped in a low cross which was somehow missed by everyone.

He was involved yet again moments later as he combined with Gaffney and Walker to let Rooney in, only for effort blocked by a great save from Jay Lynch.

As the half-progressed Salford began to drop deeper allowing Fylde to dominate possession but they struggled to break down the opposition’s defence.

Kellermann won a free-kick 35 yards out which top scorer Danny Rowe stepped over. He hit a low drilled effort which was blocked by the Salford wall, the rebound came back to him and he tried his luck again on his left forcing a comfortable save from keeper Chris Neal.

Fylde had another chance as Zaine Francis-Angol found space down the left side, his cross was met by the head of Gime Toure who couldn’t keep his effort down.

Moments later Haughton put the ball into the six-yard box where Salford City’s top scorer Adam Rooney headed the ball home to the visitors 2-0 up.

Fylde’s chances continued to be limited as a miss-hit cross from Luke Burke caused Chris Neal to tip the ball out for a corner. The resulting corner was punched clear by Neal and picked up Francis-Angol who won another corner which was well held by Neal.

Andy Bond was replaced by Danny Philliskirk as Fylde continued to try and get back into the game but struggled to create any clear goalscoring opportunities.

The game began to slow down and chances for both sides were limited. The last chance of the game came to the Ammies when left back Ibou Touray made a surging run down the wing only for his left-footed effort to be dragged just wide of the right post.

AFC Fylde: Lynch, Francis-Angol, Byrne, Tunnicliffe, Bond (Philliskirk 70), Burke, Hardy (Toure 45), Hemmings, (Brewitt 45) Kellermann, Croasdale, Rowe,

Subs not used: Cardle, Tasdemir.

Salford City: Neal, Wiseman, Touray, Pond, Haughton (Hogan), Rooney, Walker, Whitehead, Shelton, Piergianni, Gaffney (Rodney 65)

Subs not used: Crocombe, Hooper, Glynn,

Attendance: 2,941