AFC Fylde vs Chorley

Lancs FA Trophy
Mon 17th March 2014
Score: 4 - 1

Match Report

HT: 2-1

Att: 2,832

AFC Fylde won the Lancahire FA Challenge Trophy for the third time in four years with a fantastic 4-1 victory over their Evo-Stik Premier Division title rivals Chorley.

Former Magpie Andy Russell scored the opener against his former club before James Dean did likewise for Chorley four minutes before the break.

But with half time looming Harry Winter smashed home a second goal for Fylde from the edge of the box.

Chorley pressed for another equaliser throughout the second half but two late goals on the break from man-of-the-match Michael Barnes secured a memorable victory for The Coasters.

It was Chorley who had the first clear cut chance of the match when captain Andy Teague headed onto the roof of the net after nine minutes.

But Adam Roscoe shout have done better heading over a corner at the back post from just two yards out.

Brad Barnes was unlucky with a long range effort which sailed wide of the mark just two minutes before Russell gave Fylde the lead.

Chorley keeper Aaron Grundy made a good save to deny Brad Barnes at the near post but the rebound eventually fell for Russell who tapped it home from close range.

There was always going to be goals in this game and two more followed in the final four minutes of the half.

First Dean scored from a corner when he jumped higher than anyone to meet the ball with his head and level the tie – duly running towards the Fylde fans with his hand cupping his ear and shrugging his shoulders.

But when the tie looked like it would be level at half time, Russell made a surging run from centre back to reach the by-line and cut the ball back to the edge of the area for Winter to smash home for a 2-1 lead at the break.

Into the second half and Chorley needed to get a quick goal and Darren Stephenson had the first effort but shot well wide from the edge of the box two minutes in.

Danny Lloyd made a blistering run down the left two minutes later as he beat Keiran Walmsley on half way, surged to the area but sent a wayward shot wide of the goal.

The game was firmly in the balance as both sides looked to sneak a goal that would turn the tide in their favour – Dean headed wide on 70 minutes before Matt Blinkhorn’s cheeky flick on was comfortable for Grundy six minutes later.

But with the game petering out, The Coasters made sure of victory when Blinkhorn chested the ball down to Sean Cooke and he played a fantastic ball through to Michael Barnes who raced in one-on-one with Grundy and slotted home.

Then deep into injury time, Barnes added a fourth racing through to beat his marker and smash home from 12 yards to add the icing on the cake.

Dave Challinor said of the result: “This is another game chalked off and it was a brilliant win. The lads are delighted in the dressing room.

“It was in important goal before half time and felt we started well but then sat back a bit. We were passing the ball and moving it but we then stopped after going 1-0 up but it was a great reaction just before the break.

“As the game got stretched I knew we’d be a threat on the break and I was delighted for Mike to get the goals.

“He’s an important player for us and to have him back alongside Blinkhorn, Richie Allen (who didn’t play today) and Lloydy is fantastic.”

Up next for The Coasters is the re-match with Stamford at Kellamergh Park on Saturday. Kick off 3pm.

AFC Fylde: Hinchliffe, Hankin, Sumner (Gregory 90), Denson, Russell, B. Barnes (C), M. Barnes, Winter, Blinkhorn, C. Hughes (Booth 82), Lloyd (Cooke 75); Subs not used: Charnley, Mullen.