AFC Fylde vs Gloucester City

National League North
Sat 13th February 2016
Score: 1 - 0

Match Report

AFC Fylde sealed all  three points in a tightly-contested match against Gloucester City at Kellamergh Park.

Danny Lloyd’s goal in the tenth minute, shortly after Danny Rowe clipped the crossbar with a fine effort, was the difference between the two National League North sides.

Gloucester had chances to get back into the game but man of the match Matt Urwin stood firm in the Coasters goal to secure a vital victory.

Manager Dave Challinor made just one change to the side that suffered defeat at Gateshead last weekend with Richie Baker returning in midfield in place of Dion Charles.

There was to be a bright start for the Coasters and inside the first minute Sam Finley played in Danny Rowe who was unlucky to see his audacious lobbed effort bounce off the crossbar and over to safety.

The visitors responded well and enjoyed a good spell of possession as Joe Parker pounced on a loose ball in box, but his flicked effort rebounded off both posts before eventually being cleared.

Fylde raced straight down the other end and took the lead. Matty Hughes broke down the right, cleverly cut inside and the ball eventually found its way to Lloyd who gleefully poked home.  

On the quarter-hour mark Gloucester almost drew level, only a fantastic save from Matt Urwin keeping a Chris Knowles header at bay.

With 25 minutes on the clock it was Jasbir Singh’s turn to tip over, this time from Rowe’s near post header.

Ten minutes later and Gloucester had the ball in the net, however the linesman’s flag saved the day as Parker tapped into an open goal.

Gloucester were proving a handful at set-pieces and full back Billy Jones whipped in another dangerous free kick that was eventually dealt with by the defence.

Five minutes before the break and Fylde once again broke quickly through Hughes who played a lovely ball onto the head of Brad Barnes who flicked his effort towards the bottom corner but Singh got down well to turn the ball away.

Gloucester began the second-half with a dangerous free kick, Joe Hanks whipping the ball around the wall but Urwin managed to claim at the second attempt.

In keeping with the rest of the game Fylde went straight down the other end and should have scored. On 49 minutes Hughes flicked a header on to Lloyd who from six yards out headed straight at Singh, who once again tipped over. A yard either side and it would have been a certain goal.

A couple of minutes later and Urwin was called into action again, this time denying Hanks from a long range free kick.

On the hour mark Fylde forced consecutive corners, the first of which Singh did well to save Greens’ blushes when it looked like his header would nestle into the corner of his own net.

After a quiet 15 minutes where both teams struggled to retain possession, Parker burst clear but Urwin raced out to deny Gloucester the equaliser.

Gloucester substitute Omari Sterling-James found himself with the ball in the box but the excellent Urwin spread himself again to make another brilliant save.

Into the last ten minutes and most of the Coasters good work came on the counter attack as the visitors searched for a late leveller. As the board went up indicating three added minutes, Brad Barnes burst clear but the Gloucester defence got back well to smother the danger.


AFC Fylde: Urwin, C.Hughes, Sumner (81), Crainey, Hannigan ©, Barnes, M.Hughes (73), Finley, Rowe, Baker, Lloyd

Subs: Blinkhorn, Hinchliffe, Charles (73), Hardy, Whittle (81)

Gloucester City: Singh, Green, Jones, Cundy, Avery, Knowles (83), Webb ©, Hanks, Williams, Parker (75), Hall

Subs: Richards (83), Dale, Hamilton, Sterling-James (75), Dinsley

Referee: Marc Edwards

Attendance: 408