AFC Telford United vs AFC Fylde

National League North
Sat 30th January 2016
Score: 1 - 2

Match Report

AFC Fylde star Danny Lloyd scored his 50th goal for the Coasters as they held on to claim a valuable 2-1 victory against the National League North’s basement club AFC Telford United.

Top scorer Danny Rowe fired Fylde into the lead at the New Bucks Head Stadium, before Telford levelled the score through John Cofie.

However, Lloyd raced through in the 38th minute during a frantic first-half to seal the points for the visitors.

Manager Dave Challinor made three changes to the side that was defeated by Worcester City last weekend with Matt Urwin replacing Ben Hinchliffe in goal, whilst midfielder Matty Hughes and Brad Barnes came in for Josh Wilson and Richie Baker.

The Coasters got the perfect start as Lloyd and Hughes combined to feed Rowe on the right hand side. The prolific frontman cut onto his left into the penalty area and fired a shot into the top left corner just five minutes into the match.

Telford responded well and levelled soon after through a flicked header from Cofie. A quick corner was taken and Sean Clancy crossed for the ex-Manchester United youngster to nod past Urwin.

The game became a feisty affair with both sides no afraid of putting in tough challenges which were not well received by the home crowd. The two sets of players clashed after 25 minutes with neither side willing to back down. Luckily referee Sarah Garratt kept her cards in her pocket on this occasion.

Hughes appealed for a penalty when a pass appeared to deflect of the hand of a Telford defender and away to safety but Garratt was not convinced and waved play on.

The hosts went extremely close to a second goal as midfielder Lucas Dawson fired a shot from 25 yards which thundered off the crossbar and the Coasters backline eventually cleared the danger.

Two minutes later Fylde were in front again and it was to be a landmark goal for Lloyd. The winger was set one-on-one with keeper Harry Burgoyne on the left hand side of the penalty area and he steered a shot across goal and in off the right hand post. Lloyd savoured the moment in front of the home crowd accompanied by his team mates.

The Coasters were somewhat fortunate to go in at half time with eleven men. Barnes appeared to catch Cofie with an elbow to the face as the two ran past each other and whilst the Bucks’ fans were irate, Garratt again kept her cards in her pocket.

Hughes almost made it three early in the second half after terrific passing play between Dion Charles and Sam Finley saw the midfielder denied at the near right post by Burgoyne.

Telford went very close to an equaliser when David Hibbert hit a sweetly struck volley from 20 yards which had keeper Matt Urwin beaten but fortunately for the Coasters it crashed back off the crossbar for the second time.

Urwin produced a superb save to deny Hibbert’s acrobatic overhead kick from 12 yards and Fylde had chances of their own to cement their advantage however Charles and Rowe both dragged shots wide of Burgoyne’s left hand post.

There was to be more controversy as Telford players and fans were outraged when they felt Urwin handled the ball outside the box when collecting a stray cross from the right wing however the referee disagreed.

Matt Blinkhorn and Dom Collins came on late for Charles and Finley and the final whistle sounded to the delight of the travelling Coasters fans.

The Coasters find themselves in fourth place in the table ahead of Tuesday night’s trip to local rivals Chorley.


Burgoyne, Samuels, Campion, Dawson, Hutchison, Grogan, Wynter, Cofie (78), Hibbert, McCarthy, Clancy (86).

Subs: Rowe (86), Tonks, Reid (78), Brownhill, Bancessi.

Goal: Cofie 14


Urwin, C.Hughes, Crainey, Langley, Hannigan, Barnes, Charles (78),Finley, (90), Rowe, M.Hughes, Lloyd.

Subs: Blinkhorn (78), Hinchliffe, Whittle, Hardy, Collins (90)

Goals: Rowe 5, Lloyd 38

ATT: 1,035

REF: Sarah Garratt