AFC Fylde vs Hednesford Town

National League North
Sat 30th August 2014
Score: 3 - 1

Match Report

AFC Fylde made it two consecutive victories thanks to a commanding performance over Hednesford Town, and it could have been a lot more for The Coasters.

After the emphatic win over Colwyn Bay on Bank Holiday Monday, Dave Challinor set his side the task of adding to that with another commanding performance, and they didn’t disappoint.

Danny Rowe got off the mark with his first goal for the club but Hednesford got what was probably a well deserved equaliser right before half time through Tom Peers.

The Coasters dominated the second period and added to their tally through Michael Potts and Richie Allen before Potts and Caspar Hughes both hit the woodwork late on.

Having never beaten Hednesford in three previous attempts, Fylde made a bright start with Allen getting the first attempt on target in the fourth minute from Mike Barnes’ cross but he couldn’t beat Hednesford keeper Dan Crane.

Fylde survived a big scare on 16 minutes when The Pitmen squandered three attempts to find the back of the net before Ben Hinchliffe smothered the final shot from Peers inside his six yard box.

Allen was playing well and saw two more efforts go begging before Hednesford hit back with chances for Danny Glover and Alex Melbourne which weren’t capitalised upon.

But the first goal finally came on 37 minutes when Rowe looped a header over the outstretched Crane connecting with Barnes’ cross and scoring his first goal for Fylde.

After Liam Tomsett fired a well-worked move over the Hednesford bar, the visitors won a free kick which Peers forced Hinchliffe to tip over his bar and from the resulting corner Peers beat the offside trap to loop the ball over Hichliffe and equalise a minute before the break.

Fylde started the second half well and Adam Sumner curled a decent effort over the bar before the second goal came through an excellent team move finished by Michael Potts for his fourth of the season on 57 minutes.

Allen was rightly awarded the man of the match award as he made Crane parry one shot before a second was tipped over the bar. And from that corner, he volleyed narrowly over the bar.

Tomsett should have done better when he headed over in acres of space just six yards out from Barnes’ cross but Allen finally got on the score sheet from an easy tap with 15 minutes to go – A poor back pass was collected 45 yards out which allowed him to round the keeper and tap in to double Fylde’s lead.

Potts almost made it four three minutes later but he hit diverted Allen’s cross onto the post from just six yards out.

Then, five minutes before the end Hughes was unlucky to see his shot was deflected onto the crossbar only for Allen to race in and head the rebound straight into Cranes arms.

Challinor was delighted that his side kept their unbeaten run going saying at full time: “It was great to get another win on the board. It was pleasing to see the things that we’d worked on in training on Thursday be taken on board and come off in the game, which is good.

“To score three today was great and we probably should have scored a few more as we were unlucky to hit the post and crossbar at times.

“It was disappointing to concede when we did just before half time but we showed great character to perform the way we did in the second half and seal the win.

“So it was good to win against a good side but like you say, you’ve got to keep that going now. We’ve got a full week ahead of the trip to Oxford next weekend so we’ll prepare for that during the week and iron out a few things we still need to work on.

Challinor was also pleased that Danny Rowe scored his first goal for the club, adding: “It’s great for Danny to get off the mark as well. Probably for the last two or three games he probably couldn’t even buy a goal if you like, so for him to get one is great.

“We’ve never been a side that relies heavily on one player to score the goals as we’ve got goal scorers all over the park but it will do his confidence the world of good.”

Fylde now prepare for a trip to play Oxford City next Saturday for the next match in the Vanarama Conference North.

AFC Fylde: Hinchliffe, Hughes, Sumner, Langley, Hannigan, B. Barnes (C), Tomsett, Potts (Hankin 84), Rowe, M. Barnes (Lloyd 80), Allen; Subs not used: Booth, Dootson, Charles.
GOALS: Danny Rowe (37), Michael Potts (57), Richie Allen (75)

Hednesford Town: Crane, Ashmore (Dell 59), Campion (C), Bailey, Francis, Taylor (Melvin 59), Osborne, Melbourne, Glover, Hurst, Peers (Robinson 74); Subs not used: MacPherson, Price.
GOALS: Tom Peers (45)

HT: 1-1
ATT: 346
MOM: Richie Allen (AFC Fylde)