Eastleigh vs AFC Fylde

National League
Sat 8th September 2018
Score: 0 - 0

Match Report

AFC Fylde extend their unbeaten away record to five games following a goalless draw in Hampshire against Eastleigh.

In a game where chances were few and far between the Coasters were in control for large parts but couldn’t break down a resolute home defence.

After losing their unbeaten start to the season at home to Salford City on Tuesday, manager Dave Challinor made three changes with Danny Philliskirk, Joe Cardle and Arlen Birch
replacing Andy Bond, James Hardy and Zaine Francis Angol, who was away on international duty with Antigua and Barbuda.

The opening stages saw the Coasters have most of the ball but it was the visitors who had the first meaningful attempt on goal. A poor goal kick from Jay Lynch was pounced on by the hosts and a ricochet fell kindly for former Tottenham Hotspur winger Mark Yeates to have a shot on goal but Lynch made amends producing an excellent save.

The first real chance for Fylde came after 18 minutes. Excellent play from Ashley Hemmings saw him beat two blue shirts before finding Rowe in space. Rowe played the ball to Philliskirk who played a lovely chipped ball over the top for Jim Kellermann and his half-volley from 15 yards was well saved by Graham Stack.

Two minutes later the Coasters went close again. This time a headed clearance from a throw-in fell to Joe Cardle on the edge of the box and his low effort was deflected just wide of the right post.

Hemmings was next to try his luck when a throw-in was headed into his path. With his back to goal, he tried an audacious overhead kick but his effort looped just over the bar and onto the roof of the net.

Making his return to the side winger Cardle looked a threat all afternoon with his whipped crosses continuously causing the hosts problems. After switching to the right side he produced two excellent crosses in quick succession which narrowly missed Hemmings with the first and Rowe with the second.

Eastleigh started the second half brighter and on 53 minutes had one of the best chances of the game. A deep cross from the right was headed into the centre of the box by Paul McCallum but the unmarked Cav Miley could only fire the ball over from 12 yards.

Sixty seconds later Fylde almost unlocked the home defence up the other end. Another cross from the right from Cardle was met by Philliskirk 12 yards out who controlled and fired at goal but his effort was deflected back to Croasdale who then saw his effort blocked too.

Back came the hosts as Yeates exploited space down the right flank before cutting in and seeing his effort deflected over by the outstretched leg of Tunnicliffe.

With the game approaching the latter stages the Coasters made their first change with James Hardy replacing Ashley Hemmings and then shortly after Gime Toure replacing Jim Kellermann.

Toure has proved effective coming off the bench already this season and used his pace and power to beat Reda Johnson to the ball and put in a cross to find Cardle in the centre of the box. Unfortunately, the ball was cleared just before it could reach him.

Cardle was replaced shortly after by youngster Serhat Tasdemir. The final chance of the game came from a Fylde corner which was played short to Danny Rowe who fired just over the bar from the edge of the box.

The final whistle blew shortly after and despite the clean sheet the Coasters had to settle for a point.

Fylde now sit in the final play-off place in 7th ahead of next week’s game against Aldershot Town at Mill Farm.


EASTLEIGH: Stack,Hare,Johnson,Wynter,Payne,Hollands,Miley,Gobern (90),Constable (67),Yeates,McCallum

SUBS: Fltney,Zebroski (67),Boyce,Dennett,Jones (90)

AFC FYLDE: Lynch,Burke,Byrne,Tunnicliffe,Birch,Croasdale,Philliskirk,Kellermann (74),Hemmings (65),Rowe,Cardle (85)

SUBS: Hardy (65),Bond,Toure (74),Tasdemir (85),Brewitt