Fleetwood Town vs AFC Fylde

Lancs FA Trophy
Tue 13th March 2018
Score: 2 - 0

Match Report

AFC Fylde bowed out of the Lancashire Senior Cup following a 2-0 defeat at local rivals Fleetwood Town.

A second-string Coasters side matched their League One opponents, boasting several first team names, for much of the afternoon, however goals from Michael Donohue and Joao Morelli proved the difference in a game of few chances.

Wigan loanee Jordan Flores was handed his first start by manager Dave Challinor in a much-changed team from the side that ran riot against Aldershot Town at the weekend.

The hosts started brightly in the sunshine at Poolfoot Farm, dominating possession without creating anything of significance.

Jason Taylor went closest for the Coasters in the opening stages with a glanced header over the bar from Luke Burke’s corner. 

Henry Jones had a sight of goal after he was hacked down 25 yards out, however his whipped effort was neither cross nor shot and drifted harmlessly wide of Chris Neal’s post.

Fleetwood midfielder Donohue stung the palms of young stopper Theo Roberts as both sides probed whilst Bobby Grant hit another from distance, but again Roberts was equal to his powerful strike.

Frontman Wes Burns twisted and turned his way past Burke on the right before letting fly from the edge of the box as Roberts was given plenty of early practice.

With chances at a premium for the visitors, centre-half Sam Stubbs decided to take matters into his own hands and lashed a strike goalwards that looped up off a defender and into the grateful clutches of Neal. 

The home side fluffed their lines with perhaps the chance of the half shortly before the break. Harrison Biggins fired a stinging effort at Roberts and whilst the youngster spilled at the feet of Harrison Holgate, the midfielder could only return the ball to the relieved goalkeeper with a tame follow up. 

Flores headed narrowly wide in the final action of a tightly-contested half. 

Jones had a second opportunity to try his luck with a dangerously positioned set-piece soon after the break, but the defensive wall stood firm. The Welshman found himself in another goalscoring position to the right of the six yard box and was unlucky to see his strike flash just wide of the near post.

First teamer Jordy Hiwula was looking a threat for the Cod Army and only a brilliant point-blank stop from Roberts prevented the frontman from opening the scoring.

The hosts were knocking on the door and Roberts had to again be alert when Burns fizzed a half-volley towards the near post. 

The young Wigan man was really starting to earn his keep and did well to get down to Grant’s curling free-kick.

However, Fleetwood eventually broke the deadlock on the hour mark when Donohue stroked home into an open goal following an almighty goalmouth scramble.

Burns crashed a strike well over the bar as the hosts looked to double their advantage. Fleetwood found that second goal with less than ten minutes to play when Morelli cut inside before firing past a helpless Roberts.

Stubbs had the chance to halve the deficit in the final moments when expertly picked out by Jones inside the six-yard box, however the defender couldn’t get his feet sorted and the danger was cleared. 

Fleetwood: Neal, Hiwula, Burns, Grant, Maguire, Oliver, Diagouraga, Holgate, Biggins, Sheron, Donohue.

AFC Fylde: Roberts, Burke, Stubbs, Trialist (Hassall), Ezewele, Flores (Gray), Chettle, Taylor, Jones, Smith (Kay), Blinkhorn.

Ref: D Handley