Oldham Athletic vs AFC Fylde

Lancs FA Trophy
Tue 30th January 2018
Score: 1 - 3

Match Report

AFC Fylde cruised through to the semi-finals of the Lancashire FA Senior Cup with a convincing 3-1 victory at Oldham Athletic.

One of five trialists on show for the League One side opened the scoring for the hosts midway through the first half before Callum Chettle levelled the scores with a stunning strike.

Youngster George Hassall put the Coasters ahead after the break before Henry Jones converted from the spot to set up a tie against local rivals Fleetwood Town.

Dave Challinor made 11 changes to the side that played at the weekend, with a welcome return for injured duo James Hardy and Henry Jones.

There was a cagey start to proceedings at Chapel Road, Oldham’s training ground, with little in the way of goalmouth activity. Josh Ezewele got into a dangerous position down the right but his low cross was well intercepted by former Fylde loanee George Edmundson.

Serhat Tasdemir was looking lively early on and tricked his way into the box before seeing his cross-shot claimed by Latics stopper Zeus de la Paz.

Another flowing moves saw Ezewele again cross low to the back post but his centre was narrowly missed by 19-year-old lone-striker Hassall.

Shortly before the 20 minute mark, a goalmouth scramble from Hardy’s corner almost gave Fylde the initiative however both Hassall and Chettle had efforts blocked inside the box.

Completely against the run of play, Oldham took the lead with their first chance of the afternoon when a cross from the left was tucked away at the back post. 

The Coasters should have been level seconds later when a trialist of their own went through one-on-one, only to see his low strike well saved. 

However, Challinor’s side didn’t have to wait much longer to make an impact on the game. Chettle advanced towards the edge of the box, and despite delaying as runners bombed either side of him, he took his time and picked out the far corner with a sublime curling effort from 20 yards.

Midfielder Mohamed Maouche went for the spectacular himself but his shot fizzed narrowly wide of the Fylde goal.

Chettle was close to a second as his vicious first time strike was palmed away.

Young Fylde stopper Elliott Wynne was called into action when Courtney Duffus powered through for Oldham and the goalkeeper made a fine save.

Defender Edmundson should have brought the scores level shortly after the break, although his jump and attempted header from a corner lacked conviction, whilst Jones should have done better at the other end after latching onto Tasdemir’s through ball.

The Welsh starlet made amends moments later when his delightful free-kick to the back post was expertly headed back across goal and into the far corner by Hassall.

Jones’ marked his return to the team with a goal on the hour when he sent the goalkeeper the wrong way from the penalty spot.

The third goal knocked the wind out of Oldham and a wild swipe from Maouche was as much as they could muster as the clock counted down.

Fylde could have added to their lead in the dying moments when Tasdemir cut inside from the left, beat his man and fired narrowly over the bar from the edge of the area. 

Young substitute Jack Kay almost provided the moment of the match when he nicked the ball off the last defender, beat him again and rounded the keeper before hitting the post with the goal gaping.

AFC Fylde: Wynne, Ezewele, Grand, J. Taylor, Trialist, Chettle, Trialist, Jones (B. Jones 81), Hardy (Kay 62), Tasdemir, Hassall (Gray 62).
Subs not used: Allinson, Pope.