Bromley vs AFC Fylde

National League
Sat 6th January 2018
Score: 0 - 1

Match Report

Jack Muldoon’s first half goal secured a third consecutive National League victory for AFC Fylde.

Muldoon’s third goal in seven days was the difference between the sides in south London and moved the Coasters up to 11th in the league standings. 

New signing Callum Chettle was handed his debut just two days after joining the club on loan from Peterborough United, whilst fellow loanee Sam Stubbs was named on the bench.

The Coasters made an electric start to the match with a glorious chance just three minutes in. Andy Bond’s ball over the top found Jonny Smith racing clear and although he beat goalkeeper David Gregory to the ball, his touch took him a little wide and he couldn’t pick out  Rowe with his cross.

Adam Mekki hit back with an opportunity for the hosts when he beat Jordan Richards down the right and fizzed an inviting low cross into the six yard box that was well read and cleared by Simon Grand.

Chettle had his first shooting opportunity just inside 20 minutes and didn’t look afraid to let fly, however his powerful effort from distance was deflected around the post by former Premier League defender Roger Johnson.

Bromley winger Luke Wanadio should have done better at the other end moments later when played in by Dennis, but he sliced his first-time strike wide of the near post.

Bromley managed to make a real mess of the best chance of the game five minutes later. Wanadio broke down the right, beating Grand for pace before lashing a strike against the far post. The loose ball fell at the feet of Josh Rees five yards out and he explicably poked wide of the post.

The opener came perhaps against the run of play as the Coasters broke the deadlock. Rowe turned and slipped a delightful ball through to Muldoon, who took a touch before sneaking the ball through Gregory’s legs. 

The forward should have doubled his tally with ten minutes of the half remaining. Rowe again played in Muldoon with a clever back heel however the goalscorer couldn’t quite finish off the move, seeing his low strike palmed away.

The goal seemed to knock the stuffing out of the hosts, however Rees managed to miss his second sitter of the half, heading just wide of the far post from inside the six yard box.

Bromley came out after the break with a new lease of life and some slack play from the Coasters allowed Wanadio a shooting chance that was saved by Lynch and launched away by Grand.

Wanadio was causing the Fylde backline real problems and his wicked half-volley from the left of the box flew through a crowded area and inches wide of the top corner. 

Bromley were getting closer by the minute and looked certain to level the scores on the hour. Half-time substitute Omar Bugiel saw his strike blocked by the outstretched arms of Lynch before heroic defending from Richards prevented Wanadio from slotting home the rebound.

Rowe looked to hit the home side with a sucker punch when he took aim from 20 yards, only to see a trademark piledriver spin the wrong side of the post.

The Coasters top scorer thought he had netted his customary goal a minute later when Richards’ strong header picked out Rowe who shifted the ball on to his left foot before curling an effort just past the upright. 

Fylde were having to cope with building pressure from the hosts and were defending stubbornly – Grand’s last ditch interception denying Dennis’ cross finding Wanadio in the centre.

Lynch was also standing firm and was well positioned to claim Dennis’ whipped free-kick with five minutes to play.

Substitute Luke Burke had a chance to wrap up the points when Blinkhorn’s blocked shot came out to him on the six yard line, however the full-back’s attempt was deflected over the bar.