AFC Fylde were knocked out of the Lancashire FA Challenge Trophy at the first-round stage following a 2-1 defeat away to Lancaster City on Tuesday evening.

Paul Jarvis’ late double proved decisive at The Giant Axe after Danny Ormerod edged Fylde into a half-time advantage.

Joe Rowley returned to the Coasters side having been injured since pre-season, as Fylde named a line-up including a mix of first-team and youngsters.

Lancaster created the opening opportunity, as Sam Bailey’s free-kick was headed over by Pat Allington before the Coasters were forced into a chance 16 minutes into the game after Harry Davis suffered a head injury and was replaced by Kian Hope.

Fylde’s first sight of goal came through Owen Evans – however, his free-kick went high over the crossbar.

Coasters midfielder Jon Ustabasi then forced Andre Mendes into a good save, as the visitors searched for an opener.

Midway through the half, Evans did well to throw himself in the way of Jenson Butterworth’s strike.

Minutes later, the Coasters went close again after excellent build-up play saw Connor Barrett teed up by Rowley to shoot at goal, which Mendes denied before Fylde threatened again.

On the half-hour, Ustabasi’s low cross towards the back post couldn’t be turned in from the boot of Rowley, with Charlie Markland’s follow-up cleared off the line.

Up the other end, Trey Turner tried his luck from distance – however, his effort from distance was comfortable for Theo Richardson moments before the Coasters took the lead.

It was Ormerod who got the opener after striking a powerful effort across goal and beyond Mendes into the bottom corner.

Late chances at goal for Mark Fell’s Dolly Blues fell to Andrew Teague and Butterworth, with neither opportunity in front of goal finding Richardson’s target.

Half-time: Lancaster City 0-1 AFC Fylde

Following the restart, Fylde started strongly, as Ormerod forced Mendes to push his header following a cross away from danger. Youngsters Dan McDermott and Jesse Hailwood were introduced into the action for the Coasters, coming on for Ustabasi and Barrett respectively.

On the hour, Richardson was quick to get down well to thwart Dom Lawson’s well-hit shot towards the bottom corner, as the Coasters managed to clear before the game was turned on its head after two goals in two minutes from Jarvis.

Jarvis’ first came on 77 minutes with a composed strike in the box before converting a second past Richardson after dancing his way past several white shirts and slotting into the bottom corner.

The Coasters were down to 10 men following stand-in captain Glynn’s dismissal and were unable to find a route back into the tie, exiting the competition at the first-round stage.

Lancaster City: Mendes, S Bailey (C Bailey 45), Clarke, Brownhill, Allington (Teague 16), Deighan, Jarvis, Lawson, Norris, Butterworth (Connelly 74)

Subs not used: Grand, Stephenson

AFC Fylde: Richardson, Barrett (Hailwood 56), Davis (Hope 16), Bird, Evans, Rowley, Glynn, Holder, Markland, Ustabasi (McDermott 54), Ormerod.

Subs not used: Dodgson, Muscat