AFC Fylde made it five wins from five in the National League North when they grabbed a 2-1 victory over Gloucester City at the Tiger Turf Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Following a quiet first half, dominated mostly by Fylde, the second half came to life, with the Coasters picking up all three points thanks to new signing Mo Faal.

The hosts took the lead through Dom McHale after he slotted past Chris Neal on the 54-minute mark, but in came Faal to turn the game on its head.

First, Haughton’s mazy run was followed by a left-footed strike from the midfielder being saved by Brandon Hall to the feet of Faal, who turned in from four yards out.

Moments later, Faal and the Coasters wrapped the points up when Jordan Cranston’s cross to the back post was met by the number 11 and headed into the bottom corner, leaving Hall rooted to the spot.

Adam Murray made one change to the side that secured victory over Alfreton Town, with Joe Rowley coming into replace Danny Whitehead.

An early sighter at goal fell the way of the Coasters in the opening stages. Connor Barrett crossed into the area towards Siya Ligendza whose header at goal looked to have been drifting wide, which the Gloucester defence managed to clear and make sure danger was averted.

On display was the lovely football that Coasters fans have been used to under Murray, with the ball being worked from Neal in Fylde’s box to Curtis Weston just outside the Gloucester box, with his shot going inches wide of the post.

Gloucester were finding their feet in the game, and that led to Michael Gyasi skipping past Joe Rowley on the edge of the area to shoot low towards the bottom corner, but Neal moved across his line well to gather.

Chances for both sides were then at a premium until Fylde broke up field through Ligendza, who slid a ball through for Haughton to run onto and cut inside from eight yards out, only to be denied by the arm of Junior Tiensa – however, no penalty given.

As the interval approached, there was time for one more opportunity – this time, Alex Whitmore climbed above a whole host of red shirts to head at goal but wide.

Half-Time: Gloucester City 0-0 AFC Fylde

Starting the second half like the first, Fylde almost had the game’s opener when some brilliant play from Obi into Haughton led to Jordan Cranston crossing towards Ligendza, who got up well to head at goal but inches wide.

However, from nowhere, Gloucester found the first goal of the afternoon when Matt McClure slid McHale in behind the Coasters defence, and he slotted past the on-rushing Neal.

The Coasters never gave up, though. After Haughton slalomed his way through the Gloucester defence like a knife through butter, he managed to force Brandon Hall into parrying a left-footed effort away but into the feet of Faal, who turned in from close range to draw the game level.

Little did Faal know, he was about to score his second and earn the Coasters a big three points on the road after Jordan Cranston swung a right-footed cross to the back post, where Faal climbed to head into the bottom corner.

Full-Time: Gloucester City 1-2 AFC Fylde

AFC Fylde: Neal, Whitmore, Bird, Obi, Conlan (45’ Cranston), Barrett (84’ Burke), Philliskirk, Weston, Rowley (64’ Faal), Haughton, Ligendza.

Unused subs: Burke, Davis, Hatfield.  

Gloucester City: Hall, Andrews (46’ Morgan), Nugent, Mahorn, Tiensia, Leadbitter, Phillips, Gyasi, McHale, Gbadeyi (90’ Mitford), McLure.

Unused Subs: O’Brien, Evans.