AFC Fylde 1 – 0

Haughton 42’

Attendance: 594

Nick Haughton opened his account for AFC Fylde in The FA Trophy at Mill Farm on Saturday to send the Coasters through, but it did little to detract from an afternoon of frustration for Fylde.

His moment of brilliance in the first-half ensured that Fylde progress into the third round of The Buildbase FA Trophy, but it could have been so different.


It was a strong side selected by Challinor, with leading National League goalscorer Danny Rowe leading the line in a side where six changes were made from the Bromley game.

First Half

Biggleswade Town had the first real sight of goal for the Waders, with Joe White holding it up before unleashing a low drive that Russ Griffiths was equal to it.

Fylde’s first chance of the first half fell to Danny Philliskirk, who was found unmarked in the box, doing enough to guide it goalwards.

However, a melee of green shirts ensured that the ball was deflected behind, albeit, fortunately.

The visitors were undeterred, and continued to add pressure throughout the half.

They almost took the lead when an unmarked White nodded a superb cross from Bradshaw agonisingly wide.

Just before half-time, however, it was the Coasters who took the lead.

Jinking past his marker and finding space in the middle, Haughton sized up his effort from almost 25 yards.

His effort powered beyond the helpless Donkin into the net, in turn scoring his first since his move from Salford City.

The second half started with the National League side in the driving seat, Nick Haughton unlucky not to double his tally, as two efforts were denied to him from close range in quick succession.

Haughton then set Tasdemir through one-on-one with an inch-perfect pass, only for the teenager to fire wide after pressure from the covering defender.

The Waders’ best opportunity came when a misjudged defensive header from Jordan Tunnicliffe allowed Joe White a golden chance to level the scores.

Bearing down on goal, White sent a well-timed half volley thundering back off of the crossbar, with the Coasters keeper Griffiths well beaten.

Although chances started to appear for both sides, it was again Biggleswade Town who seemed most likely to score the second.

However, it seemed as if The Waders weren’t to have any luck, as Bradley Bell was presented with a gilt-edged opportunity four minutes from time, heading wide from just five yards.

Academy player Sheldon Green came on for his AFC Fylde first team debut, and looked dangerous in his little time on the ball, but even this wasn’t enough to appease manager Dave Challinor.


AFC Fylde Manager Dave Challinor was not so complimentary about his team, and posed serious questions to them.

“If they look back in 5 or ten years and ask why [they weren’t successful], then look in the mirror – the answer is straight in front of them.

“We shouldn’t have won the game, because we did so many things wrong. If they’re the levels we’re gonna get to, then we are gonna get hammered in the next two games.”

AFC Fylde host 4th placed Wrexham next at Mill Farm, before a trip to third place Solihull Moors in a decisive fortnight in the Vanarama National League.


AFC Fylde: Griffiths, Birch, Tunnicliffe, Brewitt, Francis-Angol, Montrose, Philliskirk, Haughton, Gnahoua (Bond 69’), Rowe, Tasdemir (Green 80’)

Subs unused: Lynch, Byrne, Stanley

Biggleswade: Donkin, Bradshaw, Walster, Forbes, Smith, Longe-King, McNamara (Donnelly 85’), Nwaboukei (Bell 59’), White, Ball, Makoma (Brooks 70’)

Subs unused: Kirkpatrick, Allinson