AFC Fylde were beaten 3-1 on their travels to Dagenham & Redbridge at Victoria Road in the Vanarama National League.

Two goals in six minutes midway through the first half from Ryan Hill and Josh Rees saw the Coasters two behind before academy graduate Taelor O’Kane scored his first goal for the club to pull one back minutes before the break.

Despite a rejuvenated Coasters side coming out for the second half and Siya Ligendza having a goal chalked off for offside, Omar Mussa netted Dagenham’s third in the second half to complete the scoring.

Manager Adam Murray named an unchanged starting line-up from Monday’s thrilling draw with Altrincham for the trip down to East London, though Luke Charman came into the squad to take a place on the bench, replacing Connor Barrett.

Fylde had the first opportunity six minutes into the game when Josh Kay’s through ball found Kieran Glynn in a one-on-one situation that Daggers goalkeeper Elliot Justham saved well.

Up the other end, Emeka Obi’s misplaced pass was pounced upon by Jake Hessenthaler to play Hill in behind, but he was thwarted by Richardson’s stop.

From the resulting corner, Ben Strevens’ Daggers were ahead after 20 minutes when Hill struck a powerful strike from 25 yards, which beat Richardson and flew into the top left corner.

Seven minutes later, the Coasters were two behind. Myles Weston stood up a cross for Charley Kendall to set Rees, who thumped past Richardson from close range.

Murray then decided to make his first change of the game after just half-hour, with Gold Omotayo replacing Glynn moments before Fylde pulled one back on the stroke of half-time when O’Kane met Kay’s pass into the box, composed himself and powered past Justham.

The Coasters survived a scare just seconds before the break following Luke Conlan’s header back to Richardson, which Rees intercepted six yards out and found Kendall in a dangerous position, who could only shoot straight at Richardson.

Half-Time: Dagenham and Redbridge 2-1 AFC Fylde

Alex Whitmore was introduced as Murray’s second substitution of the clash, with the club captain coming on for Owen Evans at the start of the half.

Fylde immediately started on the front foot and almost levelled, but Omotayo’s header was deflected behind for a corner by Harry Phipps.

The visitors then had the ball in the back of the net moments later when Siya Ligendza turned in a strike from Danny Whitehead’s pass, but it was unfortunately ruled out for offside.

Murray’s men then had some defending to do, but Obi was well-positioned to clear Hill’s cross after getting the better of Harry Davis on the left before Fylde pushed for an equaliser, as Kay battled Mussa to drive forward with possession and zip a low effort at goal and narrowly wide of Justham’s post.

But despite a bright start to the half, the hosts grabbed a third after 59 minutes when Mussa cut inside and found the bottom left corner of Richardson’s net from the right after Hill’s pass. 

Chances came and went for Frankie Vincent and Sam Ling as the hosts aimed to extend their lead before Justham was forced into a good stop late on to tip Omotayo’s volley over for a corner following nice build-up play from Charman and Whitehead.

Dagenham & Redbridge: Justham ©, Tavares, Hessenthaler, Weston, Rees (Ibie 89), Vincent (Clarke 62), Hill (Lawless 74), Phipps, Kendall, Ling, Mussa

Unused Subs: Strizovic, Page

AFC Fylde: Richardson, Conlan, Davis, Obi, Glynn (Omotayo 30), Evans (Whitmore 45), O’Kane, Kay, Whitehead, Haughton © (Charman 58), Ligendza

Unused Subs: Philliskirk, Ustabasi

Attendance: 1,231