AFC Fylde Women came from behind on Sunday to beat Chorley Women FC 2-1 in the Determining Round of the FA Women’s National League Cup.

The Coasters fell behind midway through the second half but struck back with two quick-fire goals in the closing stages to secure their progression into the next round of the FAWNL Cup.

After Charlotte Tyers put Chorley ahead just past the hour mark, Fylde rallied to score twice in the space of five minutes in the dying embers of the tie.

Cath Hamill eventually found the equaliser, before Beth Strutton grabbed the winner to complete a dramatic turnaround for the Coasters.

In only their second game of the new season, Fylde faced a home tie against Lancashire neighbours Chorley Women, who compete in a division below in the FAWNL Division One North.

The Magpies gave a good account of themselves and posed a tough test for the Coasters, who had to work hard to unlock a resilient and well-organised defence.

Chorley Manager Carmelo Ruggieri gave a start to reserve goalkeeper Mollie Finch, while midfielder Abbie Mackay made a welcome return to the visiting line-up after a prolonged absence through injury.

Among the changes for Fylde, Megan Hunter started between the sticks, while Parker Dunn started in midfield and Rebecca Beresford returned up front.

The Coasters made a promising start to proceedings and quickly settled into their passing rhythm. At the end of one flowing move, Beresford saw an early attempt repelled by Finch.

The Magpies created their first chance directly from a corner kick, but Hunter did well to punch the ball away from a crowded goalmouth.

On the half-hour mark, Fylde striker Ginny Lackey seemed destined to score when she latched on to Beresford’s through ball and got a shot away, but Finch was equal to it.

Moments later, Lauren Heria was also denied by Finch, who managed to parry the ball to safety.

There was nothing to separate the two sides going into the break.

Half-Time: AFC Fylde Women 0-0 Chorley Women FC

At the start of the second half, Beresford was replaced by Faye Knox, who was making her first appearance for the Coasters.

Fylde created the next big chance from a corner that found the head of Strutton, but her header looped narrowly over the crossbar.

Growing in confidence as the game progressed, Chorley then took the lead when Charlotte Tyers scored her first goal for the club with a neat finish past Hunter.

Iszy Binks almost found an instant leveller when she turned into space and fired on target, but Finch showed great reflexes to tip the shot over the crossbar.

With time running out for the hosts, Finch kept out an initial effort, but Hamill was on hand to convert the rebound and draw the Coasters level.

Fylde captain Sasha Rowe was next to sting the palms of the visiting goalkeeper as Finch made another crucial save.

As the pressure mounted on the visitors, Strutton completed the comeback by firing through a crowded penalty area and into the back of the net.

With the game entering stoppage time, Fylde made their final substitution with the introduction of Isabelle Wade, marking her debut for the club. Minutes later, the referee blew the final whistle to bring an end to an entertaining contest.

Full-Time: AFC Fylde Women 2-1 Chorley Women FC

Next up, the Coasters host newly promoted Newcastle United Women at Kellamergh Park. This league fixture is scheduled for Sunday 3rd September, with kick-off at 2.00 pm.

AFC Fylde Women: Hunter, Binks, Hamill, Strutton, Bickett (76’ Thomas), Rowe, Dunn (57’ Moore), Heria (91’ Wade), Beresford (46’ Knox), Murphy, Lackey.

Unused substitutes: Craven.

Chorley Women FC: Finch, Catlow, Searson, Nickson, Cook, Tyers, Mackay (61’ Bell), Walker, Parker, Askam, Fitzpatrick (78’ McKevitt)

Report by Scott Jones