A 99th-minute Harry Davis header ensured AFC Fylde had a share of the spoils in a six-goal thriller against Altrincham at Mill Farm on Bank Holiday Monday after coming from behind three times.

Two goals in two first-half minutes for Altrincham turned the game on its head, with Regan Linney and Dior Angus on target for the visitors.

Nick Haughton pulled one back for the Coasters from the penalty spot after 57 minutes, in what was his second attempt of the game from 12 yards, having seen his first penalty kick saved by Ethan Ross moments earlier.

Gold Omotayo levelled for the Coasters with 12 minutes to go, prior to Chris Conn-Clarke’s 87th-minute penalty that looked to have sent the Coasters to a defeat.

But Davis was the hero after his late header sparked delirious scenes and earned a fantastic point in front of the AFC Fylde faithful.

Manager Adam Murray made four changes from Saturday’s game at Hartlepool United, with Harry Davis, academy graduate Taelor O’Kane, Danny Whitehead and Siya Ligendza all coming into the side in place of Alex Whitmore, Connor Barrett, Jon Ustabasi and Gold Omotayo.

The Coasters started with attacking intent, and Josh Kay had the hosts’ first sight of goal, cutting in from the right to shoot left-footed, with his low effort held by Robins goalkeeper Ross.

Minutes later, it was Altrincham who were on the attack, as defender Lewis Baines played a lofted pass up field that Linney controlled, only for Davis to throw himself in the way of the strike.

Piling the pressure on, Ligendza’s surging run down the right and into the box ended with the Coasters attacker crossing into the danger zone, which Lewis Baines turned behind for a corner.

Further opportunities for the Coasters followed, with the lively Kay denied an opener from James Jones’ challenge, before Kieran Glynn’s effort from distance was straight into Ross’ gloves.

Phil Parkinson’s men aimed to grow into the contest, and Lewis Banks’ cross was volleyed over Theo Richardson’s crossbar by Dior Angus.

Midway through the half, Kay nearly sent the Coasters ahead when he bent his left-footed strike inches over Ross’ upright before he was unfortunate again. 

Altrincham led with 12 minutes of the first half remaining after Linney reacted quickest to pounce on Richardson’s parry from Angus’ fierce shot and turn the follow-up into the bottom left corner past the Coasters goalkeeper.

Altrincham doubled their advantage two minutes later when Angus, unmarked on the edge of the box, drove the ball right-footed towards goal and into the bottom left corner.

Not deterred by the deficit, Luke Conlan burst into the Altrincham box and teed up Haughton, who dragged a tame low shot wide of Ross’ near post.

Half-Time: AFC Fylde 0-2 Altrincham FC

Following on from the restart, Murray’s Coasters searched for a response and forced an early corner when Whitehead played Ligendza through out wide, with his cross blocked for a corner by Eddy Jones.

Ligendza was involved for the Coasters for the first time in the half soon after, dribbling past Jones on the left, but he could only blast high over the crossbar.

Haughton’s free-kick from the right was headed out by captain Jones, with Altrincham able to defend under pressure before Fylde were awarded a penalty by referee James Westgate on 57 minutes after Jake Cooper fouled Haughton.

The Coasters’ number 10 stepped up himself from 12 yards, but his spot-kick was saved by Ross, who kept the ball out of the bottom left corner – however, from the rebound, Whitehead was fouled and Fylde earned another penalty.

Haughton made no mistake the second time around, converting his right-footed kick into the bottom right corner, sending Ross the wrong way.

From that point, the Coasters grew in confidence, with Ustabasi and Omotayo sent on in quick succession, replacing Owen Evans and Glynn.

And Ustabasi almost made an immediate impact heading at goal, which Ross was equal to keep out.

Fylde were taking the game by the scruff of its neck, and Whitehead was next to try his luck after being found by Omotayo, but he could not keep his well-hit strike on target. 

Haughton then tested the Altrincham stopper, forcing Ross to punch away his right-footed free-kick that whipped over the wall.

With 77 minutes played, the Coasters drew themselves level after Omotayo powered in a header beyond Ross from close-range, under pressure from the Altrincham defence, to restore parity.

But Fylde were behind again on 87 minutes after Obi brought down Justin Amaluzor in the box. Conn-Clarke was tasked with the responsibility, and he converted his kick into the bottom left corner, sending Richardson the wrong way.

But an unbelievable game saw a spectacular finale, and that saw Davis in position inside a crowded 18-yard box to meet Whitehead’s ball and thump a header home, leaving Ross with no chance in the Alty goal.

AFC Fylde: Richardson, Conlan, Davis, Obi, Evans (Ustabasi 63), O’Kane (Philliskirk 80), Glynn (Omotayo 66), Kay, Whitehead, Haughton ©, Ligendza

Subs not used: Whitmore, Barrett

Altrincham: Ross, Banks, Eddy Jones, Baines, James Jones ©, Osbourne, Linney (Marriott 58), Angus (Amaluzor 83), Cooper, Wilson, Joey Jones (Conn-Clarke 79)

Subs not used: Roscoe, Burroughs

Goals: Linney, 33, Angus, 35, Haughton, 57, Omotayo, 77, Conn-Clarke, 87, Davis, 99

Attendance: 1,819