AFC Fylde were held to a 2-2 draw by FC Halifax Town at Mill Farm in the Vanarama National League on Tuesday night, despite being two goals up at half-time.

Luke Charman’s early opener sent Fylde ahead, before Nick Haughton’s well-taken effort midway through the half added a second.

Jamie Cooke’s second-half strike pulled one back for Halifax. Florent Hoti levelled the score with eight minutes left.

Chris Beech handed out starts to new signings Ethan Mitchell and Joe Westley, as the Coasters returned to action in front of their home support.

Fylde were in front within six minutes after Charman drove to the right-hand side of the box, getting the better of Jordan Keane to strike right-footed across goal which beat Sam Johnson to find the bottom left-corner.

Pushing for a quickfire second, Charman saw a snapshot saved by Johnson, whilst minutes later, Mitchell’s pass laid off Connor Barrett to strike a first-time low drive was charged down by the Halifax defence.

Up the other end, Tyler Golden’s corner curled in the wind towards goal, and Coasters captain Harry Davis cleared off the line.

Beech’s men were two ahead after 24 minutes when Haughton met Davis’ pass to turn Jamie Stott on the left edge of the box to strike right-footed into the bottom right-corner.

Late in the half, Theo Richardson was called into action to strongly beat away Cooke’s powerful attempt following good build-up play from Adan George.

Debutant Westley did well to get in the six-yard box but he flicked Jon Ustabasi’s pinpoint cross over the crossbar.

Half-Time: AFC Fylde 2-0 FC Halifax Town

The first chance of the half dropped to Chris Millington’s Shaymen, with George’s strike going through a crowd of players and wide of Richardson’s near post.

Fylde started the second half as they finished the first. A swift breakaway from Barrett found Ustabasi who delivered an excellent cross into the box which just evaded Westley.

The Coasters were enjoying the better of the play. Danny Whitehead won possession on the edge of his own box to drive forward, threading through Westley who in-turn played in Charman to power into the box and see his shot saved by Johnson.

Fylde nearly added a third when Haughton weaved past two Halifax shirts to aim at goal from distance, which Johnson spilled before Westley’s follow-up from a tight angle missing the target.

Halifax pulled one back with 64 minutes played after Angelo Capello’s pass saw Cooke reach the ball first under pressure from Sam Graham to convert left-footed under Richardson and into the bottom right-corner.

In the closing 20 minutes, Richardson superbly kept out Capello’s shot with his foot after the forward weaved his way into the Coasters’ box.

Fylde’s first change came on 71 minutes, as Danny Ormerod came on in place of Westley. Six minutes later, Josh Kay was introduced in place of Charman.

Halifax levelled on 82 minutes after Max Wright teed up Hoti to bent left-footed from the edge of the box which beat Richardson.

Both sides pushed for an elusive winner late on, including substitute Taelor O’Kane heading wide for Fylde whilst Mitchell’s volley was tipped over by Johnson, as the Coasters were forced to settle for a point at home.

AFC Fylde: Richardson, Barrett, Davis ©, Graham, Conway, Mitchell, Whitehead, Ustabasi, Haughton (O’Kane 85), Westley (Ormerod 71), Charman (Kay 77)

Subs not used: Evans, Glynn