AFC Fylde made it four wins on the bounce in the National League North with a 2-0 victory over Alfreton Town at Mill Farm.

In a fixture that saw Alfreton try and frustrate the Coasters, Emeka Obi managed to wriggle free and turn in the opener from a training ground corner that was dedicated to Assistant Head Coach Andy Taylor.

The Coasters’ dominance in the second half paid off when with six minutes left on the clock, goalscorer Obi was hacked down at the back post, leaving Nick Haughton to do the honours and smash into the back of the net.

There was just one change to the side that secured a win over Boston United, with Emeka Obi replacing Luke Burke, who dropped to the bench.

Alfreton started the game well in terms of pressing the Coasters and forcing them to play a lot of the opening seven minutes in their own half until Obi reacted well to give the Coasters a 1-0 lead.

A corner routine straight off the training ground saw Nick Haughton play short to Luke Conlan; he took one touch and crossed towards the back post, where Obi was waiting to power home a header.

Still full of confidence from his display against Boston on Tuesday night, Siya Ligendza fancied his chances in front of goal after sending his marker one way and then the other before seeing his strike at goal deflect wide of the target.

There was then a small scare for the Coasters when Chris Neal slipped at the very last minute when receiving a back pass, with the ball appearing to have crossed the line – however, saving Fylde’s blushes was the linesman’s flag for offside against the Reds.

Alfreton were keeping their shape and trying to frustrate the Coasters, resulting in very little for either side before the interval.

Half-Time: AFC Fylde 1-0 Alfreton Town

Racing out of the blocks after the break, Fylde almost doubled their lead when Connor Barrett burst down the right and was presented with a chance from a tight angle, but Willis got down to it well with his right boot to deny him.

Moments later, Haughton managed to find space down the left to whip a left-footed cross with pace towards the head of Ligendza, whose effort rose over the Alfreton bar.

It was all Fylde so far, and after Haughton & Danny Philliskirk played a one-two with each other, Haughton slid a ball out wide for Luke Conlan to cross first-time into Ligendza, but the ball ran away from him at the last second and out for a goal kick.

Coming close again, Haughton, this time, shimmied his way past his man to curl towards the top corner from distance, seeing the shot drift inches past a full-stretched Willis and the post.

The best opportunity to put the game to bed fell to Philliskirk at the back post after Haughton’s corner evaded everyone and worked its way to the midfielder, but he could only head wide from a few yards out.

However, persistence eventually paid off with just six minutes left on the clock for the Coasters when goalscorer Emeka Obi was dragged down inside the area, leaving the referee with no hesitation but to point to the spot.

That left Haughton with the chance to perform his party trick of smashing the ball into the back of the net, which he duly delivered and guaranteed the points for Fylde.

Full-Time: AFC Fylde 2-0 Alfreton Town

AFC Fylde: Neal, Whitmore, Bird, Obi, Conlan (90’ Cranston), Barrett, Philliskirk, Weston, Whitehead (46’ Rowley), Haughton (87’ Walker), Ligendza.

Unused subs: Burke, Davis.  

Alfreton Town: Willis, Clackstone, Preston, Butterfield, Smith, Wiley, Ceesay, Branson (67’ Thewlis), Cantrill, Hobson (88’ Conway), Denton.

Unused Subs: Southwell, Askew, Salam.