The Coasters returned to winning ways in the National League North on Saturday, clinching a 1-0 win over Peterborough Sports at Mill Farm.

In a game that saw both sides cancel each other out, Danny Rowe scored the game’s only goal, with the number nine catching Peter Crook out with a fierce, long-range effort on 84 minutes.

Andy Taylor made four changes to the side that was defeated at Hereford on Tuesday night, with Harvey Gregson, making his first league start of the season, Pierce Bird, Joe Rowley & Danny Rowe replacing Harry Davis, Connor Barrett, Tom Walker & Danny Philliskirk.

It was a frantic start to proceedings at Mill Farm, with chances for both sides in the opening five minutes.

Peterborough looked confident on the attack, and that led to Mark Jones almost finding the opener when he met a header at the back post to put the ball back across goal, but into the hands of Chris Neal, who gathered at the last second.

However, down the other end, a long ball upfield allowed Luke Charman to flick away from his man and into his own path for a run at goal, though as he cut back for Joe Rowley, the visitors managed to clear.

The game was yet to come to life, but it did see two opportunities come in quick succession when Spencer Keller was set free down the left by Connor Johnson with a defence-splitting pass, but as he crossed towards Dion Semble-Ferris, Luke Conlan was there to hook away.

Almost instantly, Charman raced up the pitch and was given time and space to cut inside on his right foot and force Peter Crook into palming a rasping shot away.

As the half went on, Fylde grew into the game more, which led to Nick Haughton being left out wide to pick Joe Rowley out at the back post, but before he connected with his right boot, an awkward bounce meant the midfielder put the effort wide.

The Coasters’ best move of the game was to come moments before the interval when Pierce Bird clipped a 30-yard ball to Luke Conlan. He found Danny Rowe inside the 18-yard box to set Danny Whitehead for a first-time effort, though his powerful effort was kept out by a strong Peter Crook hand.

Half-Time: AFC Fylde 0-0 Peterborough Sports  

Following the interval, the Coasters were a lot brighter in their approach. Nick Haughton was the first to try his luck after he turned on a sixpence and left two Sports players for dead to take one touch and blast over the bar.

In search of an opener, Andy Taylor’s side almost had it when Haughton’s cross into the danger zone was luckily sliced by Matty Fryatt into the gloves of his goalkeeper Peter Crook before Rowe was able to chop back onto his left foot and zip an effort inches wide.

The visitors did eventually have a half chance of their own when Connor Kennedy picked up a loose ball on the edge of the area to shift it to the right and find the back of the South Stand with a curling effort.

Spencer Keller was then left wondering how he didn’t find the game’s opening goal after he was left free at the back post, only to be met by a retreating Tom Walker, who did superbly to force the midfielder into finding the side netting.

With the game seeming as if it would peter out to a 0-0 draw, up popped Rowe with a trademark Rowey finish. Some wonderful one-touch passing between Haughton and Whitehead gave the latter a chance to thread Rowe in the final third, who turned and rattled one in from 35 yards out.

Full-Time: AFC Fylde 1-0 Peterborough Sports  

AFC Fylde: Neal, Gregson (57’ Walker), Whitmore, Bird, Conlan, Weston, Whitehead (88’ Hatfield), Haughton, Rowley (46’ Davis), Charman, Rowe.

Unused subs: Obi, Ligendza.

Peterborough Sports: Crook, Doorbar-Baptiste (52’ Kaba-Sherif), Bazeley, Fryatt, Johnson, Lawlor, Semble-Ferris, Kennedy, McCammon (82’ Hilliard), Keller, Jones (61’ Gash).

Unused Subs: Jones, Sani.