AFC Fylde were defeated 2-0 at home to York City at Mill Farm on Saturday, which ended the Coasters’ three-game unbeaten run in the Vanarama National League.

Goals in the first half from Scott Burgess and Ryan Fallowfield earned Neal Ardley’s Minstermen all three points.

Chris Beech made four changes from the side that was narrowly defeated by Sutton United in the FA Cup, with Harry Davis, Joe Rowley, Danny Whitehead and Luke Charman replacing Emeka Obi, Taelor O’Kane, Josh Kay and Gold Omotayo.

Prior to kick-off, the last post was played and a two-minute silence was impeccably observed by all in attendance at Mill Farm.

The Coasters had the first chance of the game. Good build-up play ended with Nick Haughton aiming a curling strike from the edge of the box just over George Sykes-Kenworthy’s crossbar.

York were in front in the sixth minute when Fallowfield’s pinpoint cross across goal from the right was pounced upon by Burgess, who swept the ball beyond Theo Richardson into the bottom left corner from close range.

Midway through the half, Kai Kennedy led a swift York attack up field – however, a combination of Connor Barrett and Sam Graham managed to clear from danger.

York were two ahead three minutes before the half-hour mark after Dipo Akinyemi found space behind the Coasters’ defence to square the ball on the left side of the box to Fallowfield, who converted from inside the six-yard box. 

Towards the break, Rowley sent a looping header narrowly over from Jon Ustabasi’s cross in a crowded box before the Minstermen nearly added their third, but an unmarked Woodyard saw his shot from inside the box go high and wide following a pullback.

Half-Time: AFC Fylde 0-2 York City

Shortly after the restart, Paddy McLaughlin’s low strike from distance was charged down and cleared by Graham as York pushed for another goal.

Up the other end, Barrett’s enticing cross was headed away by Will Smith, whilst Danny Whitehead flashed an attempt from 25 yards off target.

Beech made a double change just beyond the hour, bringing on Siya Ligendza and Kieran Glynn for Charman and Rowley, with Ligendza involved in Fylde’s next attacking move, weaving past York shirts to hit a tame snapshot goalwards which went wide.

In the final 20 minutes, Haughton’s free-kick went over the upright and Omotayo’s shot on the turn was blocked by a sliding challenge in the box before Nelson Khumbeni’s bending effort from 25 yards landed inches past Sykes-Kenworthy’s right-hand post.

Sykes-Kenworthy was called into action with eight minutes left, thwarting Ustabasi’s powerful header from close range after Conway’s cross.

Minutes later, Haughton’s set-piece dropped to Davis at the back post, but his header was cleared up field.

Burgess then broke up field before crossing for substitute Lenell John-Lewis, who from a matter of yards, headed across goal, which Richardson gathered. Another chance for York came through Woodyard’s hit from range, which Glynn did well to throw himself at.

Omotayo then glanced Haughton’s cross over the bar in added time as the Coasters slipped to a defeat.

AFC Fylde: Richardson, Barrett, Graham, Davis ©, Conway, Whitehead (Omotayo 69), Khumbeni, Haughton, Ustabasi, Rowley (Glynn 61), Charman (Ligendza 61).

Subs not used: Obi, Philliskirk. 

York City: Sykes-Kenworthy, Fallowfield, Smith, McLaughlin, Green, Corder, Woodyard, Kennedy (Latty-Fairweather 75), Burgess (Dyson 90+3), Howe, Akinyemi (John-Lewis 79).

Subs not used: Stockdale, Castro