AFC Fylde fell to a 2-0 defeat but gained vital minutes in the legs in a pre-season friendly against Barrow AFC at Kellamergh Park.

It took until the second half for the goals to arrive. First, Ged Garner fired in with an audacious volley from the edge of the area before a trialist striker tapped in at the back post towards the end of the game.

Adam Murray named a strong XI to start, with various other first-teamers getting valuable minutes later in the second 45.

The Coasters looked comfortable in the early stages against a side one division higher, and it was confident play that led to the first chance of the game.

Pierce Bird was able to clip a ball down the line to Luke Charman in space inside the area, who was able to pick Connor Barrett out at the far post for a first-time effort, but he struck the post from close range.

That was before the visitors went down the other end and almost took the lead after a cross came in from the right towards Emile Acquah rising high inside the six-yard box, only for him to head over the bar.

Barrow’s Football League quality showed, which was the case when Courtney Duffus flicked cleverly around the corner of Alex Whitmore and eventually out to Dean Campbell for a cross into the area, but Theo Richardson was alert to tip away the danger.

Fylde started to see chances of their own come to fruition, with Charman doing well to turn away from his marker, weave into the area and poke at goal, which the Bluebirds eventually cleared before Jon Ustabasi burst down the wing to zip a cross into the area and towards Emeka Obi, who flicked wide of the post.

Half-Time: AFC Fylde 0-0 Barrow AFC  

As the second half started quietly after numerous changes for both sides, it took until the 59th minute for the first bit of goalmouth action, which resulted in a goal when out of nothing, a ball dropped for Garner on the edge of the area, who swivelled and volleyed over the Trialist ‘keeper and into the top corner.

Barrow extended their lead ten minutes later through a trialist striker, who managed to tap in at the back post after several goal attempts went begging before falling to the unmarked number nine.

Fylde were battling on, and straight after the restart, Kieran Glynn was able to glide through the midfield and slide Will Hatfield in down the right. He was able to cut inside and pull back to Joe Rowley, who took one touch and fired over after snatching at the shot.

One effort of the Coasters’ that did go close, and deserved a goal, was one of Siya Ligendza after he met a driven Nick Haughton corner and volleyed inches over the bar.

Full-Time: AFC Fylde 0-2 Barrow AFC     

AFC Fylde: Richardson (46’ Trialist A), Obi (61’ Hatfield), Whitmore, Bird, Barrett (61’ Trialist B), Evans (55’ Conlan), Whitehead (61’ Philliskirk), Davis (46’ Glynn), Charman (61’ Rowley), Ustabasi (61’ Haughton), Omotayo (67’ Ligendza).

Unused Subs: Trialist C.

Barrow AFC: Lillis, Campbell, Ray, Newby, Duffus, Gotts, Foley, Acquah, Feely, Tiensia, Whitfield.

Subs: Farman, Trialist C, Canavan, Worrall, Spence, Garner, White, Warren, Trialist A, Trialist B, Trialist D, Trialist E.