The Coasters played out a 0-0 draw with FC Halifax Town in a behind-closed-doors fixture as preparations towards the 2023/24 National League season continued.

Both sides had good chances in each half, with Harry Davis & Jon Ustabasi going close for the Coasters and Jack Hunter rattling the post from outside the area for the visitors, but the game ended all square, with more vital minutes gained in the legs.

Adam Murray named a strong Coasters side to start, with Kieran Glynn and Nick Haughton in midfield, Harry Davis, Emeka Obi and Pierce Bird at the back and Luke Charman up top.

Despite Jamie Cooke trying his luck from the edge of the area and firing over in the opening minutes, the first real chance came for the Coasters and Luke Conlan.

Danny Philliskirk won the ball back in the middle third to lay Nick Haughton for the switch out to the left, where Conlan took one touch and struck into the hands of Sam Johnson.

The Coasters were playing nice football in the opening stages, which led to Trialist B receiving the ball and setting Haughton on the edge of the area for an effort that travelled narrowly wide of the post.

Although the Coasters looked promising with their all-round play, FC Halifax were the side to almost take the lead when Jack Hunter rattled the post from just outside the area, with Harry Davis clearing on the follow-up.

Davis then found himself in unknown territory down the other end after stepping in with the ball and hitting a rasping strike towards the top corner, leaving Johnson to scramble to his left and tip around the post.

As the clock started to tick towards the 45-minute mark, Jamie Cooke broke down the right and was one-on-one with Harry Davis with him and Theo Richardson to beat, but he zipped off the surface and wide from 20 yards out. 

Half-Time: AFC Fylde 0-0 FC Halifax Town   

There was very little to write home about in the second half so far until Siya Ligendza came off the bench and released Jon Ustabasi in on goal, who had only Johnson to beat, but as he searched for the bottom corner, he dragged wide of the post before Halifax almost scored the only goal of the game.

Confusion between the Coasters squad came when the linesman and referee disagreed on a decision, leaving Halifax to take a quick throw and catch Murray’s men on the break – however, as the striker squared to the back post after going one-on-one with Richardson, there was Harry Davis to make a last-ditch challenge and win a goal kick.

Full-Time: AFC Fylde 0-0 FC Halifax Town     

AFC Fylde: Richardson, Obi, Davis, Bird, Trialist A (61’ Whitehead), Philliskirk, Trialist B (46’ Barrett), Conlan (70’ Evans), Haughton (70’ Trialist C), Glynn (46’ Ustabasi), Charman (61’ Ligendza).

Unused Subs: O’Kane, Walker, Hatfield, Walker, Trialist D.

FC Halifax Town: Johnson, Senior, Keane, Stott, Hunter, Hoti, Golden, Galvin, Oluwabon, Cooke, Cosgrave.

Subs: Scott, Wright, Harker, Trialist.