AFC Fylde slipped to a disappointing 3-2 defeat against local rivals Chorley despite racing into a two goal lead in the opening ten minutes at Victory Park.

Brad Barnes opened the scoring and Danny Rowe doubled the advantage with two delightful goals, but three strikes without response saw the hosts claim all three points.

Boss Dave Challinor made just the one change from the side that beat Telford at the weekend with Dom Collins replacing Caspar Hughes at right back, whilst Richie Baker came back into the squad in place of James Hardy.

It was a terrific start for the Coasters when six minutes in Rowe laid off to Barnes who bent a superb effort into the top right corner from the edge of the box.

Fylde nearly made it two when Matty Hughes put in a teasing cross from the right but Danny Lloyd’s header was just wide of the left hand side.

Fylde did make it two soon after as Rowe beat Sam Ashton to the ball 25 yards out and flicked the ball brilliantly over the goalkeeper and into the far corner of the goal, cue the typical relaxed celebration from the prolific frontman.

After 20 minutes Chorley pulled one back when Adam Roscoe crossed from the right for Jack Lynch to flick a header past Matt Urwin into the bottom left corner.

Danny Lloyd nearly restored the two goal cushion seconds later when he beat his marker on the left hand side but his fierce shot was parried away to safety by Sam Ashton. Dion Charles also had a great effort with a chip from the edge of the box which went just wide of the left hand post leaving Ashton no chance.

The hosts levelled after 34 minutes when Darren Stephenson gave the ball to Lynch who shot from eight yards. Urwin saved but Jordan Connerton was on hand to tap in the rebound.

Andy Bond found himself in space on the right hand side 25 yards out but his shot fizzed past Urwin’s right hand post.

Fylde almost went back in front when Stephen Crainey crossed from the left and Dom Collins rose highest to meet the cross which was tipped over the bar by Ashton.

Stephenson found himself free on the right hand side early in the second half and put in a dangerous cross which was cleared well by Hannigan but only at the expense of a corner. Lynch tried his luck with a 30 drive but it bent high and wide of Urwin’s top right corner.

Lynch had another effort after picking up the ball following a short corner, but his shot from 20 yards was tipped around the post by Urwin for another corner.

Chorley took the lead on 68 minutes when the ball fell kindly to Andy Bond after Hannigan cleared the ball away from the approaching Lynch, who got a touch to the ball, guiding it into the path of Bond and the veteran midfielder tapped home from all of three yards.

Rowe tried to get the Coasters level again with a stinging shot which was too hot for Ashton to handle. Luckily for the hosts the ball didn’t fall at the feet of a Coasters forward.

Richie Baker had an effort from a free kick from the left edge of the penalty area but it was just wide of Ashton’s right hand post and Rowe hit a thunderous free kick which the keeper parried into the path of Lloyd, but the forward’s rebound was deflected narrowly wide.

Rowe had the final effort of the evening with an audacious lob from an acute angle which fell just wide of the right hand post.


Chorley: Ashton, Ross, Beesley, Teague, Roscoe, Cotterill, Jarvis, Lynch, Connerton (80), Bond, Stephenson.

Subs: Charnock, Field, Whitham (80), Bailey, Correia

AFC Fylde: Urwin, Collins (60), Langley, Hannigan, Crainey (74), Barnes, Finley, Charles, Lloyd, M.Hughes (67), Rowe

Subs: Hinchliffe, C.Hughes (60), Whittle, Baker (67), Blinkhorn (74)

Attendance: 832

Ref: Anthony Backhouse