National League North
Tue 17th February 2015
Score: 3 - 0

Match Report

AFC Fylde put their recent form well behind them as they surged back to the top of the Vanarama Conference North with a comprehensive win over fifth placed Boston United at Kellamergh Park.

A Danny Lloyd screamer after just eight minutes was added to by an own goal from Mark Jones nine minutes later to give Fylde a commanding lead before Richie Allen added the icing on the cake deep into injury time.

After four successive defeats The Coasters were gunning for an early goal and after Ben Hinchliffe comfortably gathered a high cross from Liam Marrs, Lloyd smashed in the opening goal after just eight minutes.

Lloyd collected the initial ball 30 yards out and passed to namesake Danny Rowe on the edge of the box and blasted a left-footed strike through Sam Vince’s outstretched fingers and in from Rowe’s lay-off.

It could have been 2-0 just two minutes later when another vicious strike from Lloyd ricocheted off Rowe and wide from a tight angle.

But the second goal did come on 17 minutes when Adam Sumner’s looping free kick was knocked on by Rowe for Mark Jones to get the final touch and divert it into his own net.

Carl Piergianni, who scored two goals in Boston’s 3-1 win over Fylde earlier in the season headed an out-swingning corner wide of the goal four minutes later in what was his sides first real attempt on goal.

Josh Wilson and Rowe couldn’t fashion a clear shot on goal from a free kick on the edge of the box and minutes later an excellent cross from Lloyd is headed away from Rowe only for Wilson to volley wide of the post.

The visitors finally managed to get into the game on the half hour and Marc Newsham should have capitalised on a poor touch by Tom Hannigan 30 yards out but his strike was easy for Hinchliffe to gather.

Soon after Jones nearly made amends for his own goal with a header in the right direction but, again, Hinchliffe was untroubled by the effort.

Frustration was setting in for Boston which seemed to rub off onto Fylde and Bradley Barnes could count himself lucky to stay on the pitch after a dangerous sliding tackle left Kyle Dixon on the ground holding his shin six minutes before the break.

The Coasters started the second half brightly and enjoyed plenty of possession inside the first 15 minutes but struggled to create any clear-cut chances.

The only effort of any note in that time was a 35 yard strike from Piergianni for the visitors which almost snuck under Hinchliffe but the Fylde keeper had it covered.

Man-of-the-match Hinchliffe had to be on hand to save his side again on 71 minutes when Zac Mills was played in by a weighted through-ball but the Fylde stopper rushed out to clear the ball from his feet.  Piergianni then missed another chance from a corner, this time heading over the bar.

There was no stopping Hinchliffe in this game as he came out to smother the ball on the edge of his box again, this time from the feet of Nick Walker after Fylde’s defence was split open once again.

With five minutes of normal time remaining Wilson is brought down by a hefty challenge from Piergianni which sees the Boston centre back go into referee Kevin Mulraine’s book but the resultant free kick was smacked against the wall by Lloyd.

Substitute Allen then tried to find a goal of his own and after two relatively easier chances he finally did when he rounded Vince and slot in from a very acute angle three minutes into stoppage time.

The result sees The Coasters return to the summit of the table for the first time since defeat to Chorley and lead second placed Barrow by a point with a game in hand.

AFC Fylde: Hinchliffe, Hughes, Sumner, Langley, Hannigan, B. Barnes (C), Hamilton (Tomsett 67), Wilson, Rowe (Blinkhorn 82), M. Barnes (Allen 73), Lloyd; Subs not used: Denson, Booth.

GOALS: Danny Lloyd (8), Mark Jones (17og), Richie Allen (90+3)

YELLOWS: Josh Langley (20), Bradley Barnes (39)

Boston United: Vince, Marrs, Steer, Roberts, Mills, Piergianni, Garner (C), Dixon, Newsham (McGhee 59), Jones, Walker; Subs not used: Southwell, Felix, Hollingworth, Saebe.

YELLOW: Carl Piergianni (84)

HT: 2-0

ATT: 349

MOM: Ben Hinchliffe

REFEREE: Kevin Mulraine