FA Trophy
Sat 29th November 2014
Score: 3 - 2

Match Report

AFC Fylde won through to the First Round Proper of the FA Trophy for the first time in their history after winning a tough battle with fellow Vanarama Conference North side Hednesford Town at Kellamergh Park on Saturday.

Josh Wilson scored his first goal for the club in only his second appearance before Danny Glover levelled the tie midway through the first half.

A goal apiece for Richie Allen and Danny Lloyd gave The Coasters a commanding lead early in the second half but Glover added his second from the spot to make it a nervy last 15 for both sides.

Lloyd was handed only his fifth start of the season, coming in for the injured Mike Barnes on the right of the attack with Jamie Allen returning to the middle, between Lloyd and cousin Richie and Wilson sat behind them.

And it was a decent start from The Coasters as the front three took the game to the visiting defence.  After some early wayward efforts they finally got their reward on 11 minutes when Wilson headed in a pin-point cross from Lloyd.

It was the perfect start for The Coasters but falling behind galvanised the visitors and Hednesford were able to settle into the game more.  They won a free kick in a great position 25 yards out and Glover made no mistake curling the shot over the wall and past Ben Hinchliffe at the near post.

Man of the match Danny Lloyd sent three attempts wide from distance in the space of five minutes for The Coasters before he and goalkeeper Ben Hinchliffe played a cheeky but rarely-used law in football that almost paid off three minutes before the break.

As a player cannot be offside from a goal kick Hincliffe sent a huge one over everyone to an unmarked Lloyd waiting inside the Hednesford where he was able bring it down unopposed and shoot but keeper Dan Crane made a good save to tip it onto his post and the rebound fell kindly into his arms.

Tom Thorley sent a wayward strike over the Fylde bar a minute later in a rare attack for the visitors before Wilson had the perfect chance to restore Fylde’s lead in stoppage time.

Jamie Allen was initially played in by Lloyd only to see his shot well saved by Crane and this time the rebound fell to Wilson on the edge of the box but he sent his strike wide of the post.

Fylde did retake the lead five minutes into the second half with the aid of referee Joseph Johnson.  Wilson was pushed to the floor by Francino Francis and Mr Johnson awarded Fylde the penalty.  Richie Allen, who was having a quiet game by his standards, made no mistake squeezing the spot kick between Crane and the post.

Glover could have equalised again on 52 minutes when Hednesford failed to capitalise on Michael Potts losing the ball on half way but the Town striker sent his effort wide.

Lloyd capped off a great first half performance by getting on the score sheet himself on 59 minutes to give his side a seemingly comfortable 3-1 lead.  Jamie and Richie Allen combined well on the right which allowed Richie to send an excellent deep cross towards the six yard box which Lloyd slid onto to divert past Crane.

And it was Lloyd again who had the next best chance for the home side and he was very unlucky to see Crane pull off a fine save to turn his dipping free kick around his post when it looked for all the world that it was heading for the bottom corner 66 minutes in.

The game was turning feisty late on as Hednesford knew one more goal would bring them back into the game and they got that chance with 15 minutes remaining.  A Fylde defender was adjudged to have pulled down a Hednesford attacker when trying to clear a corner and Mr Johnson awarded the Pitmen a penalty of their own which Glover comfortably converted.

And as the game was dying out and Fylde looked to be claiming the victory, Jamie Allen could have made certain of the win but sent a strike wide when played through one-on-one by Lloyd before Marvin Robinson watched Hinchliffe dive low to pounce on his downward header just in front of the goal mouth to deny Hednesford an unlikely replay.

The Coasters held on to what turned out to be a slender lead thanks to a great performance and finally have a win to celebrate after going four games without one in all competitions.

The draw for the First Round Proper will be made on Monday with the tie to be played on Saturday, 13 December.

AFC Fylde: Hinchliffe, Hughes, Sumner, Langley, Hannigan, B. Barnes (C), Tomsett (Potts 32), J. Allen, Lloyd, Wilson, R. Allen (Rowe 80); Subs not used: Dootson, Denson, Booth.

GOAL: Josh Wilson (11), Richie Allen (50pen), Danny Lloyd (59)

YELLOW: Danny Lloyd (19), Josh Wilson (75), Josh Langley (80)

Hednesford Town: Crane, Hurst, Campion (C), Bailey (Robinson 87), Francis, Thorley (Melbourne 63), Osborne, Walker, Glover, Diggin, Batchellor; Subs not used: Love, Sullivan.

GOAL: Danny Glover (23, 76pen)

YELLOW: Jamey Osborne (64), Ben Bailey (66)

HT: 1-1

ATT: 251

MOM: Danny Lloyd