FA Cup
Tue 30th September 2014
Score: 2 - 1

The Coasters finally squeezed through to the Third Qualifying Round of the FA Cup after eventually dispatching of an impressive Bradford Park Avenue side who nearly took it all the way in a classic FA Cup tie.

Both sides put everything into the game and it was Avenue who started well but Fylde had the better of the second period.

Richie Allen made gave The Coasters the perfect start to extra time, scoring his seventh of the season three minutes in before Danny Lloyd added Fylde’s second six minutes from the end.

But Danny Frost made it a nervous finish pulling one back for the visitors two minutes before full time.

Just one change was made to the Fylde line-up from Saturday with Caspar Hughes coming in for Liam Tomsett who was rested in midfield.

Early strikes from Allen and Danny Rowe were wasted before a good spell from the visitors saw Joe Colbeck’s shot blocked.

Further strikes from Chris Howarth, Paul Walker and Scott Kerr tested Ben Hinchliffe but none of them could beat him and the two sides continued to trade shots as half time neared with Rowe, Walker and Chib Chilaka going close.

Fylde regrouped in the second half and whatever Dave Challinor said to his side at half time certainly worked as they pressed hard for that opening goal.

An excellent save from John Danby denied Rowe after an earlier strike from the Fylde forward was blocked and cleared. Then, straight up the other end Tom Hannigan was brave enough to get his head in front of Kerr’s fierce, edge-of-the-box strike.

The Coasters kept piling the pressure on Bradford and Mike Barnes was denied by some kamikaze defending and excellent shot stopping before having a strike agonisingly cleared off the line by Grant Black on 72 minutes.

Another excellent save by Danby denied Bradley Barnes a minute later and then the visitors almost found the net when Black’s 30 yard free kick was spilled by Hinchliffe only for him to race up and chest away Richard Marshall’s effort at the near post.

Allen and Potts came close to winning it late on for Fylde but the game was to head to extra time and another 30 minutes of intriguing cup football.

And it was the perfect start as Allen slotted home Potts’ low cross between Danby and the post for the lead following a swift break.

It was still a tense affair and the game wasn’t put to bed until the 114th minute – Michael Barnes surged through the midfield to play in Allen who squared the ball expertly to Lloyd inside the box and he had time and space to fire home the second.

It wasn’t over there as Bradford caused a nail-biting end when Frost curling a brilliant strike into the top corner that Hinchliffe had no chance of reaching with two minutes to go plus stoppage time.

However, Fylde managed to hold on to the lead and win through to meet Buxton in the next round at Kellamergh Park a week on Saturday knowing they are now only two wins away from the First Round Proper.

AFC Fylde: Hinchliffe, Denson, Sumner, Langley, Hannigan, B. Barnes (C), Hughes, Potts (Tomsett 108), Rowe (Lloyd 74), M. Barnes, Allen; Subs not used: Dootson, Blinkhorn, Charles, Charnley.
YELLOW: Michael Potts (21), Tom Hannigan (82), Richie Allen (120+2)
GOALS: Richie Allen (93), Danny Lloyd (114)

Bradford Park Avenue: Danby, Black, Priestley, Price (Howarth 15), Qualter, Marshall, Colbeck, Hotte (C) (Rea 67), Chilaka, Kerr, Walker (Frost 80); Subs not used: Barraclough, Lever.
GOAL: Danny Frost (118)

HT: 0-0; FT: 0-0, HT ET: 1-0, FT ET: 2-1
ATT: 287
MOM: Michael Potts