In a tight game it was AFC Fylde who came out on top thanks to Sam Rigby’s solitary goal just after half time against a decent Nantwich Town outfit.

In what was a fast paced start to the game neither side were able to get a foothold on the game as the final ball was wayward from both teams.

The first shot on goal for The Coasters came from lively striker Zak Adekoya but his shot on the turn was blocked and cleared by the Dabbers defence on 20 minutes.

Five minutes later it was Nantwich’s turn to attack and Jordan Bennion was unlucky not to open the scoring lobbing his strike over and wide of the goal from 12 yards.

Callum Jones was also unlucky to head wide of the mark on 32 minutes after Nantwich won a free kick 35 yards out from goal – in what looked to be a training ground move, the ball was lobbed over the home defence onto Jones’ head but the result was a goal kick to Fylde.

Fylde had a decent spell towards the end of the half and Adekoya managed to get his head to a cross which looked to be heading straight out of play, but he could only guide it into the side netting from a tight angle.

Then right on half time, Fylde didn’t deal with their own throw-in which allowed Nantwich to attack and Tom Taylor was fed through on goal but his shot sailed tamely wide.

Fylde’s goal came just three minutes into the second half after some great work by Adekoya saw him able to lay it back for substitute Rigby to fire into the net from 12 yards and give Fylde the lead.

Nantwich almost responded with a goal of their own two minutes later by Max Parry sent a good chance wide of the post from just inside the Fylde box.

The Coasters looked comfortable midway through the half and should have extended their lead when Usen Jones saw his shot blocked before Tom Billington and Adekoya played a decent one-two which Billington curled narrowly over the bar from 18 yards.

James Ashworth was at full stretch to direct a cross towards goal but he put too much on his 70th minute effort and the ball flew over the bar.

The visitors’ best chance came four minutes from time when James Bosson headed over from six yards.

The final chance of the game fell to Carnan Dawson in stoppage time when his strike stung the palms of Ashley Rodgers who could only parry the shot away but his defence was on hand to clear the ball.

The Coasters now progress to the final qualifying round where they will entertain Ashton Athletic at Kellamergh Park on Monday, 19th October.

AFC Fylde: Whittingham, Bellington (C), Dawson, Welsby, Smith, Howell, Hutchison, Jones, Adekoya (Ball 81), Ashworth (Futter 90+2), Cummins (Rigby 46); Subs not used: Jamieson, Gregory.

Nantwich Town: Rodgers, MacLennan (C), Madden, Bosson, Bourne, Marley, Jones (Collings 67), Bennion, Parry (Hopkins 67), Steele, Taylor; Subs not used: Hankins, Tomkys-Brown, Dodd.

HT: 0-0

ATT: 76