AFC Fylde climbed to the top of the National League North table with a 2-1 victory at Corby Town.

Dave Challinor’s side took full advantage of Solihull Moors dropping points to take the top spot from their rivals.

Richie Baker opened the scoring shortly after the break and doubled the lead just five minutes later, converting a penalty after Dion Charles had been felled.

Duane Courtney made sure it was a nervy finish with a bullet header five minutes from time, but the Coasters held on for a vital victory.

Manager Challinor made three changes to the side that thrashed Coleshill Town 9-0 in the FA Cup last time out.

Ben Hinchliffe returned in goal in place of Matt Urwin, Akil Wright replaced the suspended Sam Finley in midfield and Matty Blinkhorn was chosen in favour of Danny Rowe to lead the attack.

The Coasters enjoyed some early pressure, but it was Corby that fashioned the first opportunity of the match, Hinchliffe called into action to deflect Ashley Sammons’ effort over the bar.

On-loan midfielder Wright had the first opening for the visitors when a corner broke to him 10 yards out, but his ferocious strike was deflected around the post.

Wright was in the thick of the action at the other end, hacking down his man of the edge of the area. However, Hinchliffe saved well from Sammons’ powerful free-kick.

Fylde hit back with a chance of their own, but Danny Lloyd fired harmlessly wide when played in by Matty Hughes.

Both sides struggled to gain a foothold in the match and most chances were restricted to long-range strikes.

The best chance of the half fell to Blinkhorn on 41 minutes and he could only watch on in despair as his close range effort from Lloyd’s delightful cross came back off the post.

Charles created space for himself shortly after the break, but fired well over the bar from 20 yards.

The breakthrough eventually came on 48 minutes when Baker stroked the ball into the bottom left-hand corner and, after some bizarre deliberation with his linesman, the referee gave the goal.

The lead was doubled five minutes later when Charles was dragged down by Chris Carruthers in the area after some brilliant individual play. Goalscorer Baker stepped up and duly dispatched the resultant spot-kick.

Charles was starting to come to life down the right hand side and saw an effort saved by Paul Walker on 55 minutes as Fylde began to dominate proceedings.

Corby had two chances in quick succession on the hour mark when Courtney had a header tipped over by Hinchliffe, before substitute Callum Ball fired into the side netting moments later.

After a quiet spell, Corby captain Cleveland Taylor tricked his way into the box on 78 minutes and got his shot off at the second attempt, but it was comfortable for Hinchcliffe.

The Coasters almost had a third on 81 minutes, but Josh Wilson was desperately unlucky to see his free-kick crash back off the bar.

The deficit was halved with five minutes to play when defender Duane Courtney powered home a header at the back post, but the visitors stood strong to go top of the table.

Corby Town: Walker, Thomas, Carruthers, Courtney, McDonald (Ball 56), N’Goma, Milnes, Taylor, Johnson (Revan 69), Carvalho, Sammons (Weir-Daley 69).

Subs not used: Anderson, Donkin.

AFC Fylde: Hinchliffe, C. Hughes, Whittle, Baker, Hannigan, Collins, Charles, Wright, Blinkhorn (Wilson 69), M. Hughes, Lloyd (Rowe 69).

Subs not used: Urwin, Sumner, Hardy.

Goals: Baker (48, 53)

Attendance: 515