AFC Fylde were defeated 4-1 away at Vanarama National League leaders Chesterfield on Saturday afternoon.

Goals from Armado Dobra, Mike Jones, Will Grigg and Ash Palmer saw the Coasters beaten in Derbyshire, with Danny Ormerod scoring for Fylde.

Head Coach Chris Beech has named one change to his side, as Ash Hunter replaced Ormerod in the line-up.

Early on, Ollie Banks struck a free-kick well over the crossbar before his effort across the face of goal went narrowly wide of Theo Richardson’s bottom left-post.

Liam Mandeville then headed Branden Horton’s cross just over, as Paul Cook’s Spireites threatened.

Later in the half, Sam Graham had to clear away from danger after Mandeville’s cross to beat Grigg to the ball.

The Coasters survived a scare when Banks hit a right-footed volley inches past the right-post after Graham clearance from a corner went only as far as the Chesterfield midfielder.

Fylde’s first chance came midway on 16 minutes. Good attacking play which saw Dan Adshead superbly win possession and move it onto Jon Ustabasi, who drove at the Chesterfield defence and played a cross-field pass to Hunter, who fed Haughton to shoot powerfully at goal, but Harry Tyrer made a low stop down to his left.

Chesterfield led with 28 minutes played. Dobra ran onto Mandeville’s well-timed and held off challenges from Graham and Connor Barrett to slot right-footed under Richardson and into the bottom right-corner from inside the box.

Going in search of an equaliser, Coasters captain Harry Davis couldn’t direct his header from Haughton’s corner on target.

Up the other end, Grigg found himself in the right-hand side of the box, where he turned Graham, but Davis’ challenge ensured the ball was cleared for a corner.

Towards half-time, Jones sent a pass into the path of Horton on the left, who flashed a shot past the far post.

Up the other end, Max Conway’s lofted ball aimed for Joe Westley was intercepted by Naylor.

Following the break, Davis did well to thwart Jamie Grimes and Naylor from a set-piece situation.

Chesterfield scored their second 10 minutes into the half when Mandeville’s corner, which Ethan Mitchell tussled with his marker to head to the edge of the box, only for Jones to thump right-footed through a crowd of players and high beyond Richardson.

Immediately after the restart, Haughton’s snapshot from distance went close but wide of Tyrer’s post.

Chesterfield’s third came just two minutes after their second. Banks found Mandeville down the right, who whipped a cross into the box for Grigg to beat Richardson from close-range.

On the hour, Beech made all three substitutions, with Josh Kay, Ormerod and Bryce Hossanah coming on for Hunter, Haughton and Barrett.

Fylde were awarded a penalty after Ormerod’s shot was handled. Ormerod stepped up himself but his right-footed spot-kick was saved by Tyrer before his follow-up was also kept out.

But Ormerod did have his goal on 68 minutes, profiting from build-up play to loop an effort over Tyrer despite pressure from Naylor.

The hosts added their fourth of the afternoon, as Palmer turned in Mandeville’s corner at the back post.

Substitute Ryan Colclough went close for Chesterfield, however he was denied by Hossanah’s challenge, whilst Ormerod’s low shot was saved by Tyrer, as Fylde lost on their travels.

AFC Fylde: Richardson, Barrett (Hossanah 60), Davis ©, Graham, Conway, Mitchell, Adshead, Ustabasi, Haughton (Ormerod 60), Hunter (Kay 60), Westley 

Subs not used: Long, Whitehead