Footballing stars and fans alike gathered together on a glorious day to celebrate the career of Blackpool legend Brett Ormerod.

Over 3,600 supporters turned out for the Seasiders favourite – a new record attendance for the Mill Farm.

Brett was star of the show both on and off the field, netting a hat-trick in an entertaining 5-5 draw against Dave Challinor’s AFC Fylde Select.

The man himself was given a rousing reception as he entered the field to a guard of honour by both set of players.

Two of Blackpool’s former Premier League stars combined to create the first chance. David Vaughan played in Alex Baptiste down the right and his low cross found Ormerod who was narrowly wide of the far post with a left footed shot on the turn.

Danny Coid delivered an inviting cross into the area but Phil Clarkson couldn’t quite get his head to the ball as the All Stars piled on the pressure.

The deadlock was broken on the quarter hour mark and Ormerod played a major part, nodding the ball through to Clarkson who smashed the ball into the bottom right corner from 15 yards.

Ormerod almost turned scorer five minutes later when his acrobatic overhead kick looped over the keeper but agonisingly over the bar.

AFC Fylde star Stephen Crainey was next to try his luck for the boys in tangerine and he was desperately unlucky to see his deft chip drift a foot wide of the right post.

The Premier League class was evident to see (despite there being a few more wrinkles on show!) as the All Stars played some champagne football however it was the Fylde Select side that found themselves on the scoresheet 35 minutes in. Michael Barnes rolled the ball across goal and Wembley hero Matt Walwyn had the simple task of tapping home from a yard.

Dave Challinor’s side had the wind in their sails and current Fylde star Matty Hughes fired just over with a rocket from the edge of Matt Gilks’ penalty area. An in-swinging corner was expertly flicked on at the near post by Andy Preece but his header crashed back of the post and into the former Scotland international’s grateful clutches.

Preece almost doubled his tally shortly after the break when he raced clean through but the goalkeeper was equal to his stinging strike whilst at the other end Ian Evatt was just off target with an ambitious curling strike from 25 yards.

The glory moment arrived ten minutes after the break. Clarkson was questionably brought down in the area and up stepped Ormerod to put the All Stars back ahead.

Their lead was short lived though as fans favourite Joe Booth – captain for the day – curled a sublime first time effort into the top right hand corner.

Challinor’s side clearly hadn’t read the script and completed an unlikely turnaround when Jon Newby raced clear and slid the ball underneath substitute goalkeeper Paul Rachubka.

The game came to life just past the hour mark and the stadium erupted as Ormerod headed home his second of the goal of the game from John Hills’ perfect right wing cross.

There was a moment of woodwork mayhem as first Evatt clipped the ball against the bar before Ormerod smashed the rebound against the post.

However, he wasn’t to be kept at bay for much longer and duly despatched his second penalty of the day with aplomb to seal his hat-trick.

There was a sentimental moment as both Ormerod’s sons, Dylan and Riley, entered the fray and the former took just two minutes to open his account nipping through to slot past the keeper.

Evatt hit the bar for the second time of the game five minutes from time lofting a delightful effort over Andy White. Evatt wasn’t the only one to be denied by the woodwork as nine-year-old Riley sneaked in behind and lashed the ball against the post!

Challinor’s side pulled one back with three minutes to play when Andy Morell scored potentially the goal of the afternoon firing high into the top corner from just inside the box before Jordan Wynne levelled the scores with the last kick of the game

Att: 3,615