It has been an action-packed period for AFC Fylde Women since the turn of the year. Let us look back on the past couple of months for the Women’s team.

Under the interim charge of Assistant Manager Connor Wild, the Coasters were keen to make a positive start to 2024 when they travelled to face Stourbridge Women at the War Memorial Ground in the first weekend of January.

Fylde went ahead through Lois Moore, who converted a rebound after Rebecca Beresford’s initial shot had been blocked. The hosts soon equalised as Jessica Lowe fired home.

Stourbridge grabbed the winner eleven minutes from time when Kelsey Richardson scored a free-kick from the edge of the area to secure a 2-1 win.

On 12th January, the Coasters were delighted to announce the appointment of Jake Williams and Steve Mainwaring as joint First Team Managers. Jake and Steve are relishing the challenge and determined to retain the club’s place in the third tier.

Their first game in charge ended in defeat to Burnley Women in the Lancashire FA Women’s Senior Cup. This semi-final tie was held at the Anchor Ground in Darwen as a neutral venue.

On a blustery afternoon, Fylde competed well in difficult conditions but had to withstand significant pressure from Burnley’s frontline. The free-scoring Clarets ultimately ran out 6-0 winners to advance to the final of the county cup.

To conclude January, Fylde entertained Newcastle United Women in the FAWNL Cup Quarter Final. After progressing through three earlier rounds, Fylde came undone against the high-flying Magpies in a hard-fought clash at Kellamergh Park.

After taking the lead through Sasha Rowe’s wonder strike, the Coasters remained in the tie for large spells, but the visitors asserted control in the second half to seal a 4-1 win and advance to the semi-final.

At the start of February, Fylde suffered a 6-0 loss to Nottingham Forest Women at Kellamergh Park. The Coasters were on the wrong end of a dominant display by the Reds, who took a three-goal lead by the hour mark, before plundering three more goals late on to add gloss to the scoreline.

In mid-February, Fylde returned from Merseyside empty-handed after a 2-1 reverse to Liverpool Feds WFC at Jericho Lane. The Coasters struggled to gain a foothold in the first half as the Feds took a two-goal lead through Chantelle Thompson and Aleesha Collins.

The second half brought an improved display by Fylde, who halved the deficit as Sasha Rowe scored from the penalty spot. Fylde rallied in search of a late equaliser, but the Feds held out to claim the victory.

The Coasters have not played since then after three consecutive postponements. Their visit to Stoke City Women was postponed due to a waterlogged pitch, before their midweek trip to Burnley Women also fell victim to the weather four days later.

Last weekend, the Coasters were set to host Wolves Women but were unable to fulfill the fixture due a number of unforeseen injuries in the squad. Rearranged dates for all three games will be announced in due course.

Words by Scott Jones